Click here if you are having website access problems ×

dry sump belt tension / squealing!

SimonMac

Help! My DS belt has started making squealing noises, which I notice when first starting the engine - I think it gets drowned out by all the other noises when I'm moving along.

Is my belt too taut, and should I loosen it slightly by slackening off the adjuster, or will this just mean the belt slips? If it's too tight is it more likely to snap at higher revs?

FWIW, the DS belt seems to be about the same tension as the alternator belt. OPs seem to be about right (~1 bar at hot idle, 3-4 bar other times)

Its my opinion that the ridges/grooves on the scavenge pump pulleys are too small for the belt. The result is the belt only drives/grips the bottom of the grooves and not on the taper. Combine this with cold thick oil on start up and possibly some belt wear and you get slip and squeal. Recomend that you change your belt frequently and pay particular attention to cleaning the pulleys before fitting the new belt with carb cleaner or brake disc cleaner. It is also possible that your auto tensioner spring has got weak you could try a replacement, its off a Rover 216/416/25 power steering belt tensioner.

Are you sure it's not the alternator belt *confused* If the d/s belt was incorrect, it would have done it as soon as you originally fitted it. Must agree, best to renew d/s belt frequently, not good if they snap. 😳

have blown something! I'm sure

I used to find the same problem on the hydraulic pump belt on my Citroen BX. The belt would wear and/or age harden to a point that no amount of additional tension would make it grip properly. A new belt used to sort it out *thumbup*

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated *thumbup*

Sounds like it's a good idea to change the belt and clean the pulleys to be safe. How can you tell if the tensioner spring is too weak, assuming the scavenge pump appears to be driven properly? As a rough guide, if you press the DS belt should it have a similar amount of resistance as the alternator belt?

Gambo - can't be 100% sure it's not the alternator belt, but it sounds more like it's from the scav. pump pulley end if anything - difficult to tell with all the other noises in the engine bay. It'll probably turn out to be something else completely 😳

Last qst for now - what should the pump pulley be torqued up to, to ensure it's not somehow loosened over time?