Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Appollo oil Level (confused)

anon7

In a leaflet with the appollo oil system it says run the car for 2 minutes then allow it to stand for 30 seconds and check the oil level.

However I have seen on other sites, including Alcester racings` that the oil should be at operating temperature and the engine running when you check it.

I`ve tried both and get different readings (Alcester method showing somewhat less).

Anyone got a definitive answer for this one?

Any help much appreciated

Shaggers

It`s not yours............it`s

R7 NOW

Shagbat,

Just to add to what I've stated on my site, my cambelt cover has a silver sticker on it saying "Check oil level with engine running and hot" (wording might be everso slightly different, but that's basically it).

You would expect the running-level to be slightly lower than the after-30-secs level because that just gives the oil time to start draining back into the sump.

If you want to hedge your bets, make sure that the running level is somewhere above minimum, and the after-30-secs is just below max (or thereabouts) - but I think you'll notice a bit of oil OP drop around roundabouts etc.

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Right,

CC Aftersales says:

The 'best' way is to check immediately after you kill the engine (don't wait 30 seconds), or if needs must then hot and running.

Do not let it stand before checking as the oil will start to drain back into the sump and provide a false reading.

I've been told by CC and Mark at Anglia Sevens that it's Engine Hot and Running for K series.

However, it can be very difficult to read the dipstick when using this method, particulary when the oil is new. Why is the end of the dipstick yellow - It's a v. poor contrast to the oil colour.

Thanks Mav,

As that gives the slightly lower reading, it`s got to be better than not enough, so I`ll give it a whirl (never had all this on the old cross flow, bless her)

It`s not yours............it`s

R7 NOW

Mark.

This probably works, but it is daft that it has to be done like this eh?

My 1800 MG has a green tip to the end of a springy wire dipstick, but my Caterham still uses the yellow plastic one. Oil level on the latter dipstick shows better as it gets older/blacker!!!