Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Emissions 3:5% test pass?

Derek Taylor

Excuse my ignorance as I'm anything but technically blessed. When you say comp exhaust does this mean no Cat 🤔 and if so will this still pass the above 🤔

Main reason I ask is my car is a 2001 VVC with the R500 exhaust fitted and no Cat, it's due it's BFG in Oct (equivalent to UK, MOT) and I'm trying to find away around the test, without having to splash out on a new Cat for the sake of an hour a year ☹️

If I remember correctly older cars over here, should if I were to change the engine, have to pass a 4.5% test.. this is older= pre-81 so I dont think it will be a issue for you unless its a very dirty engine

'Going round the corner givin' it a handfull'

• Support Team

3.5% CO is the pre-catalyst limit according to here, therefore your car should be able to pass without a cat if indeed that is the correct test for it.

I found this on the web which explains what the emissions test are for different ages of vehicle:

First used before 1/8/1975 - Visual test only. Failure for excess idle speed, dense blue or black smoke for 5 seconds at idle or during acceleration up to 2500rpm or half engine max speed whichever lowest.

First used between 1/8/75 and 31/7/86 - meter test CO

You then need to work out your first used date. Kit built cars prior to introduction of SVA (1998) and all Q plate cars are treated as first used before 1975 and therefore only a visibile smoke test is required. Factory built cars will either be treated as first used when they were built or first used when the engine was built - the MOT tester will be able to determine this from the VIN number.

A factory built Superlight will almost certainly need to pass the advanced emissions test and that would probably not be achievable without a catalyst unless you had an extremely well tuned engine. The limits for the car/engine will be defined in the testers manual (I can't find this detail on the web).

There is also some detail on 7 FAQ.

Edited to add this link which seems to explain things fairly clearly.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 23 Jul 2004 09:10:31

Not relevant but,

My carbed 1600 XF I had in Sweden had to pass the 3.5% test.

The testers were good about it. We'd connect up and see. Ah about 5.5 and running very nicely.

Bonnet off and idle screws tweaked to lean off and as she approached 4 and dropping the tester would say that's fine *smile*

After the quick drive test by the tester in no more than 1st and 2nd (part of the test) and a pass, I would drive out of the test station all unhappy and park up and put the idles back where she was happy.

One time the tester who came out had an artificial leg. On seeing the 7 he smiled and about turned and called another more agile tester.

Glad I've got a pre 1998 kit car in the UK.

Jeff,

Thanks for starting this thread, I'd be really interested to know how you get on because I'll find myself in a similar situation when my car is old enough.

Cheers *thumbup*

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Edited by - Dirty Den on 24 Jul 2004 06:28:14

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up taking my car (2001 EU3 VVC engine with R500 exhaust and no Cat) down to test centre just for an emissions test to see how it faired, "failed" *thumbdown*

Took the emissions test print-out to the local garage (recommended by the test centre *eek*). One look at the results sheet and the manager of the garage said "no problem sir just needs adjusting" *biggrin*

Car does not require MOT till Oct, but told to take car for test let it fail then bring him the emissions print out. He will then adjust car to required levels *smile* All for the pricely sum of €35. *thumbup*