Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Windscreen to Aeroscreen, and back

Need some advice please..I want to be able to change from windscreen to aeroscreen, and back again.

I would prefer to fit the aeroscreen direct to the scuttle like the SLRs not to be able to see the aeroscreen fittings when the screen is refitted...is this possible?

Is an option to have an aeroscreen stanchion with perspex aeroscreen attached, has anyone done this? I think it is usually used to mount the Brooklands screens.

There seem to be quite a few variations on the perspex screens, any particular ones to avoid, I hear the JPE is not too effective. I expect there are non Caterham standard aeroscreens fitted out there, any strong recommendations ? URLs with pics or emails would be appreciated.

I think that's about it for now, I look forward to hearing your views !

Cheers

Minty LOGO Minty

Minty,

Take a look at http://www.c7kjt.co.uk/ The Modifications section.

Kevin and I have converted both our cars to JPE Aeroscreens. I change back to a windscreen during the winter or if my other half is planning to come along.

It takes a around half an hour to convert back to full windscreen.

The conversion

Remove full windscreen. You will have to deal with the heated screen wires if you have one.

Cover Scuttle in masking tape.

Replace windscreen and draw around to mark out the full footprint on the masking tape.

Place JPE screen on Scuttle, mark out the five fixing points. The JPE screen will be just behind the wiper mounts.

The 3 central fixing points will be within the shadow of the full windscreen. However the outside two are outside the shadow, so will be visible with the full windscreen in place. I cover these with plastic grommets (5or 6 mm)

The outside passengers side fixing is the most tricky. You will need to loosen the wiper motor to get to it.

Mirrors

I use the SPA door mirrors mounted on the JPE screen with a rubber washer on each side and a metal backing plate to prevent the screen from cracking (seems okay after a couple of thousand miles). Mounting the mirrors on the screen gets them out of the way when you want to use the full windscreen, and doesn't leave any holes.

I use the SPA Sports car mirror for the central mirror, mounted as close to the front edge of the dash as possible. This allows the front 2 fixings to be made under the lip of the dash and the 3rd behind the top tube of the scuttle. I use the smallest SPA mounting post (24mm I think) as this allows you to leave the post in situ if you have the full windscreen in place.

There is a picture of HPC150 on the 7 Gallery in this configuration.

Regards

Ian (HPC150)

Edited by - ian balson on 2 Jul 2001 17:32:24

With normal aero's it is possible too.

You have to line the holes up where the windscreen rubs.

The rubbed area usually cleans up ok with T cut and wax.

You will have to have big backing plate washers ideally with captive nuts to make fitting the aero's quicker. You need a large backing plate for stability and the feel that you could not just rip the aero off by hand!

The washer squirt hole makes a good centre mirror fixing but will wear / mark the paint!

Side mirrors can be fixed under where the windscreen goes.

For a quick change and staibility and looks the stanchion is the way to go...

I have had both systems and prefer the stanchion method. The centre mirror does vibrate a nit but I am working on that...

I am in the process of rebuilding mine, and as my other half doesn't like the aeros I have decided to have 2 scuttles, one with the aeros, the other with the full screen, wipers, wipermotor etc. Should take 5 to 10 minutes to swap between them.

Dave H

Pinky, take her along too....... give her a packet of crisps, a Coke and a straw (oops, a "Diet" coke and optional straw) blush.gif and a copy of the latest magazine of her choice teeth.gif..... then you can go and "do yur thang" with the boys thumbsup.gif

FH wink.gif