Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine/gearbox refit advice

captain chaos

Ok,

Following my earlier posting regarding a clutch problem, I'm now in a position to refit my engine & box. As the motor came out (Vx with Cat 6 spd) the gearbox oil spilled out of the prop hole. Once I've refilled it does anyone know of a trick to stop this happening again on refitting?

As to me,the hole used for topping up looks damn hard to get to once installed. Or am I losing the plot here?

Be kind with you're answers, it's been a difficult 2 days!

• Area Representative

I fitted the engine & gearbox first & pushed it over to one side.

I filled it up using a funnel & plastic tube. (two man job)I use a 10mm cut down allen key taped into a ring spanner to fit the plug. I then aligned the gearbox & propshaft. To top up the oil i use a syringe fitted with a plastic tube

One tip when filling the box with the funnel & tube is to warm the oil first as it flows better.

One note, the propshaft must be fitted to the gearbox before filling.

All the best

Edited by - Tin Man on 1 Jul 2001 21:36:46

CC,

Fit the gearbox keeping it horizontal. If level, the oil will stay in the box.

In a VX car the gearbox should be fitted as a separate operation to the engine - I dont think they will go in as a combined assy, although I've never tried.

Arnie Webb

The Car in Front is Full of Lard....wink.gif

See Fat Arnies LardMobile here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

I have always fitted my engine seperately from the gearbox and it is quite easy.

I always align the spline by putting the gearbox and engine out of the car and making sure that I don't touch the input shaft. It has never taken more than a couple of minutes to line the two parts up and I have always fitted the gearbox full of oil without problem. I always fit the speedo cable as well.

The VX does go in easily with engine/gearbox together if you have have the two removeable cross members.

You can use an old sawn off prop shaft stub to bung the hole but I would not risk pre filling and the bung getting knocked out during installation.....

I fill with the car flat using a tube / bottle and warm oil.

I think Steve is right here.

I have 1 removable upper engine bay strut, and I do not think the box and engine could be inserted as a single item. Check you have both struts removeale!

The flip side is with aligning the box and engine. I use a spare 1st motion shaft to line things up when I bolt the clutch to the engine. It has mated easily every time on this basis.

Arnie Webb

The Car in Front is Full of Lard....wink.gif

See Fat Arnies LardMobile here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

Obtain a front input joint of a propshaft and plug the prop take off hole with it. Fill the gearbox with oil out of the car and then fit. When the engine / box is bolted in, remove plugging joint and fit propshaft.

Is this making sense?

John

I (well, Roger S and myself) have always fitted the engine and box separately and then bolted them up together once they were in. Roger doesn't have the removable tubes which makes it a pretty tight squeeze. I normally remove the exhaust side only.

You can get a sleeve to keep the oil in (ask Steve Perks nicely and he may be able to help) but as Arnie says, if you fit them separately, you can fit the box without tilting it.

Alex

Edited by - Alex Wong on 3 Jul 2001 23:06:40

Aha! The recon gearbox I got for my Midget came with a stubby propshaft mounted to a rubber doughnut, I think I've still got it somewhere. It gives me the hump filling boxes down the transmission tunnel, trying to torque up a cut-off bit of 10mm Allen key.

I agree. I've ordered up the fittings and hoses for this weekend. I'm going to put two hoses in so that one acts as a breather during filling and I've checked clearances and the only problem will be that it will mean a bit more agro when sliding the whole thing back into place.

Save me ringing Caterham, what's the recommended oil capacity for the Cat 6 speed??