Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Getting the bird

charlie_pank

For some inexplicable reason I have an urge to convert Kermit to Blackbird power. This is a long term plan for when funds and time allow. In the meantime, I would very much appreciate it if you would consider the list of things I will need to change and let me know if I have missed anything or if there's anything that I have included in the list of changes that doesn't need to be altered...

Current config:

1.6 K series engine

Emerald ECU

5spd Type 9 gearbox

Standard Diff (non LSD)

De-dion rear

Desired spec:

Blackbird EFI engine

LSD

Things I will need to dispose of:

Kseries engine

gearbox

propshaft

Diff

intake manifold

wiring loom

full exhaust system

instrumentation (rev counter, speedo etc....)

dashboard

ECU (unless I can use the emerald for the Blackbird engine - which would be nice)

Engine & Gearbox mountings

Fuel tank and pump (unless I can use the old ones with the new engine)

Things I will need to install:

Engine & gearbox

New mountings

ECU (see Emerald info above)

Airbox

Full exhaust system and probably new sideskin

Bastardised wiring loom

LSD

Propshaft

Dry sump

Stack dash

Full new dashboard

Gear linkage

Fuel tank and pump (unless I can use the old ones with the new engine)

I would welcome your thoughts on this and if anyone has an idea of the cost, that would also be extremely useful...

You'll only have to have a reskin if you're not happy with the current appearance or the exhaust exit is dramatically further forward/back. Otherwise surely it's just a case of enlarging the hole? (Obviously depending on what exhaust system you currently have).

Also you could probably re-use your silencer though if you do track days you'll probably want something else to quieten it down a bit.

Do you have a windscreen? Heater? If not it would probably be easier to modify a bike loom i.e. by extending the bit that goes to the back for lights. Though I can't remember if bikes are fitted with foglights.

The first ever blackbird simply used the clocks from the bike mounted on the dash. Looked ok IMO but you may want something else.

Peter - Great :) what about the ECU? Also not sure about the half shafts etc...

Sam - thanks. I do have screen, but no heater. I don't mind modifying the bike loom to include a screen heater and foglight...

Edited by - charlie_pank on 16 Jul 2004 15:48:40

It's getting cheaper by the minute... 😬 if I can keep the diff casing, presumably I can keep (at least half of) the propshaft too...

Sounds like I'm going to need to spend some time on willshefindout.com to figure out how to do this without SWMBO getting wind of it...

I am sure this is a farking vast project and I'm far from convinced the best way to do it is with a Caterham. Do you have the necessary skills to start with a Locost and go from there? At least you can do what you need to en route. The easiest way to remove weight after all is not to have it in the first place - when you build from scratch you save the weight of a boot floor, for example, by the simple expedient of omitting to fit one.

Battered, I'm sure you're right. Thing is, I don't think I can bear to part with Kermit. He already has so many of the things that I want, I don't want to start from scratch and have to add them all again. I'm (currently) happy with all aspects except the lack of bike-engined-ness.

Also - is it really such a huge project - what do you think is going to be the stumbling block?

I have a Blackbird. I used to have a 1.6K. After due consideration I calculated it was cheaper to sell the K intact and buy an entirely different car. Cost to change was 2.5K.

If you have time/space/technical aptitude, then I'd suggest BOSS is right - build your own! Barry Hunt did an excellent job with his lightweight sprint special. IIRC Barry reckoned to have spent about 16K.

Could I ask why you are a bird fancier? IMHO the performance is way too manic for (sensible) road use, and the weight is only about 80kg less than my old K so I will still expect to get out-dragged by R4/500s on track. 11750rpm makes I smile, tho... 😬

You'll be out-dragged in a straight line but should be able to brake later and carry more corner speed. Also wear and tear on pads and tyres should be less.

I agree that the sensible option is to sell the K series and buy a Blackbird. The price of bike engined Caterhams has been weak of late and you might be able to do it without it costing you much if anything.

Martin

www.caterhamblackbird.com

I fancy a blackbird because I will get more power for less weight (I'm a skinny shortarse too!) and a 6 speed sequential gearbox thrown in for free.

I was always a bit dubious about BECs mostly because of the rumours of them being difficult to live with etc... however, I now have a bike licence and a bike, and I can fully appreciate that all that has been said is true - the change into 1st from neutral is clunky and the bike does tend to scream a bit at the upper end of the rev range 😬. However, I don't find either of these things a problem on a bike, and don't really see that they would make a 7 any more inconvenient than it already is. I'm not keen to go down the route of overstressing my metro engine as I feel it's a bit overworked as it is, so in order to get more of the right kind of power (the high revving kind) I think a bike is the right answer. The reason that I fancy a 'bird is simply that a few other people have done it and this makes me think that the parts are likely to be readily available.

Are you suggesting that it might be cheaper for me to start from scratch by buying the bits I need from Caterham (ie rolling chassis) and then sourcing the other bits myself (eg engine, propshaft, loom, ecu etc...)?

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: There is no plan

S5EVN

It depends on budget really, a 'bird can be picked up for just over a grand these days whereas busa's are still well over £2k and nearer £3k usually. Both really need a dry sump so no saving on either one there.

Chris