Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rear Anti Roll Bars - Again......

EFA

Following from Mikes thread regarding fitting a rear ARB to a car with SLR or R500 wheels, I have discobvered the follwing facts:

The wide wheel cars require the underslung ARB

The underslung ARB mounts just behind/above the front A frame mounts on the lower chassis tube which links the forward and rear sections of the chassis side openings on each side of the car.

It appears that on newer cars these tubes are of square cross section, not round as they are on chassis of (certainly) pre '96 spec vintage.

If you havbe a chassis with the square tubes, all of the parts from the above diff ARB are retained and two short hex bars are used to link the free end of the ARB links to the lower front hub carrier to didion ear bolt.

So the bottom line is:

If you have round chassis tubes at the wheel arch openings below the didion tube, you'll need to go to Juno for a rear ARB. (Assumiing you want to use the wide rear wheels)

I can also confirm that a 3/8 rear bar exists as I just measured the one on my car, a fact I was severely challenged on in the past on this matter.

Arnie Webb

The Car in Front is Full of Lard....wink.gif

See Fat Arnies LardMobile here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

The rear chassis tubes are still circular, they just have two small tubes 5/16" ID brased into them. Whoever came up with this arrangement should go back and have another look at the design. I had to machine down the mounting blocks 2mm, grind down the bosses flush with the chassis tubes and then grind 2mm out of the bottom of the diff and it only just fits!!

By the way I'm using green springs (250lb/" front 215lb/" rear) 16mm(ish?)front ARB 9/16" rear ARB, SLR dampers with CR500 rubber (175 and 205) on R500 rims. Any theories on how this will handle. What setting for rear ARB to keep it safe for my first exploratory outing??

By the way Arnie, who painted your seats? I'd like to get my fibreglass ones done over winter.

Cheers, Bob

The bloke in front can barely fit in his tillet seats.