Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Quaife sequentials

V7 SLR

Alex, I'd love the chance to try yours out if you happen to be at the Brook Inn in the future. I think the Elite box looks fantastic. If I decide to keep the K then it would certainly be on my future shopping list.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Quaife is a sequential mechanism only, it's just a Type 9 with a camdrum selector. The Elite is a true sequential.

This seems a rather arbitrary distinction. If it shifts sequentially then it's a sequential.

There are things you can do to a sequential design that make it stronger, like putting 1st and 3rd at opposite ends of the shaft and the higher gears in the middle. But generally they all work the same way with a barrel moving selectors, either directly or via rods. I've seen a transverse F1 transmission from an Arrows that used selectors actuated by rods with the barrel on the side of the box. Was that not 'true sequential'?

In reality the only advantage of a sequential over an H pattern is that there is no penalty to cross gate shifts, and with a 5 or 6 or more speed there is no possibility of shifting from 2->5 or worse, 5->2.

And as always it's asking for disappointment to take a competition part and expect it to behave like a production road car part.

Paul

Just out of interest, and revisiting RICED's question, what is the cost difference between Elite and the Quaife.

I chose the Quaife because I wanted a more robust box than the std 6 speed. Phil @ R&R recommended the Quaife unit. I think, aslong as it is reliable, once it's had a year of further development covering some of the issues DaveK described, then i have no doubt, If you are competing or taking track days VERY seriously, then the Elite unit will be the better bet. I bought the Quaife because, at the time, it was simply the only one available at a budget I could afford ( still over 4k!).