Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgrading K-series vs Duratec

neil.cavanagh

I'm starting to plot the winter upgrades all ready.

At the moment I have a standard 1.8 SV roadsport (140BHP) K series.

I use the car a lot on the roads and are after more power, but without too much of a reduction in reliablility and "driveability".

I think I could add emerald, throttle bodies and porting to current engine to get c. 180-190 bhp for around £2000. This however would be about the limit of power from the K-series whilst retaining reliability and road driveability from the comments I've heard on here.

My other option is to junk the cheese engine and go for a Duratec install.

From comments I think I would go for the 2.3L as in the SV I have a bit more weight to lug around (plus often having two 100kg people on board!) so the greater torque low down of this vs the 2.0L would be a benfit. I guess I'd want one tuned to give around 180-200 bhp for a start.

Does anyone know how much I would expect to pay for a complete Duratec install? My spannering skills are such that I would be looking to have someone do the big work for me rather than do it all myself.

all comments appreciated!

Neil

I beleive it wil cost you in the region of 6K for a duratec upgrade, assuming you do it yourself.

You could also call Mark Hicks at Anglia Sevens, he 's in partnership with Ammo to fit Duratecs that Ammo has supplied and may be able to give you a better idea of cost. His number is 0781 4477964

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

Hi Iain,

I am sure it won't be long before Ammo turns up to give his totally unbiased view....regarding K vs Dtec 😬 but I had a similar debate going on.... my solution was to buy a 2.3L Duratec (AMNO supplied), to work on it over the winter and into the new year, with the eventual aim of dropping it into the seven...... this way I got to really play, learn etc. but without taking the car off the road until I did the swap...... you also get to benefit from all the fun developments which are coming along for duratec engine....... *smile*

enjoy the research and decision proceess..........

David *smile*

GF04RCE is built running and on the road.... every day is a Caterham day!!!! He heee!!... pictures here , I am as excited as an excited thing.....

thanks for the comments guys!

Does anyone have a list showing all the bits and bobs you need to do the job?

Big ticket items I can think of are:

engine

new exhaust to go down the wrong side

Emerald ECU.

starter

Do you need a new clutch? would the flywheel that comes with the engine (assuming you get one!) be ok.

How about all the other ancillaries? I guess they can mount up cost wise.

I guess I'm weighing up do I spend a grand or two now to get some more GeeGees out of the K, and then go the full duratec route in a year or two when I've saved up the £6K mentioned above. At that point I could sell the current car and buy a new one with a duratec in from scratch which might work out cheapest...

thanks Dave,

I guess its not a practical option.... I think I'll be better off trading in the current car to get a new duratec powered one from scratch. Now, what are my chances of making it through until I can do that without tweaking the current car at least a little!

How much truth is there in the whole Caterham / Ford Duratec partnership..... or are they fixed on K-series for the long term.....?

David

*smile*

GF04RCE is built running and on the road.... every day is a Caterham day!!!! He heee!!... pictures here , I am as excited as an excited thing.....

Neil

I opted to convert my car rather than start from scratch. I have done too much work to my 7 to get rid of it. Not a cheap option and because my car is my hobby I don't keep a tally of what I spend. Seems silly but I just don't want to know!

I tell people that a Duratec conversion will cost between £5,000.00 to 10,000.00. The problem is that people all want something different or don't know what they want. When I first got into Duratecs the idea was to offer only two engine specs. A great idea but it doesn't work. If somebody is spending serious money on a power plant they usually want some say in how it will perform so we end up agreeing a spec to suit the customer.

There are lots of little extras that I am discovering as my car approaches completion. My website is being updated and hopefully everything will become clearer soon. In the meantime why not visit www.raceline.co.uk to get some ideas of prices. Also Mountune are a good source of information for Duratecs. I mainly sell new donor units to the trade (Raceline and Mountune are customers) and direct to end users. I don't build so many engines as I used to. Maybe only ten a year to keep my hand in.

If you want to discuss Duratecs by all means give me a call. 01394 383499 /07860 494064.

AMMO