Click here if you are having website access problems ×

House deposit or Caterham?

TomB

My car has spent more time in garage this summer than on the road. This is mainly due to me fiddling with it then getting cross & not being able to put it back together. For example, it hasnt moved for a fortnigth after I drained the coolant & took the inlet manifold off for some fettling. Life has got in the way & its still in bits.

I am also feeling the urge to move out of home (Im 25) & the car would be a sizable deposit for a decent house or a normal sized deposit & stuff for the house.

£10k would be a good sized deposit. But then I wont have the 7. But then again I hardly seem to have used it. But I am grumpy cos Ive got wisdom teeth coming & they hurt. And then there the uncertainty in the housing market. Does life have to move on?

Im 25, need some space of my own & to get a social life away from home. But when it working I love my car.

Hmm. Older, wiser sheddy chums, what do you think?

Unless you have an NHS dentist you'll probabally have to sell it to pay the bill but have enough over for the T shirt *eek*

Or buy a new 7 with a £5k deposit and finance and then a really small place with the other £5k.

Put the 7 in the lounge cos you will not have enough to insure and run it but the seats will be comfortable and the bonnet would certainly be an unusual coffee table *idea*

When you realise the worlds not nice just drop your pants and slide on the ice!!!

If you haven't got time to look after a car, think how much harder it will be looking after a house. Sort your life out first, then think about it.

A key indicator of whether your life is sorted will be a fixed car. Perhaps the car bores you now, in which case you should take the deposit for the house and upgrade...

My ... Preciousss!

Member #109**

Older, wiser

I kept the Seven at my parents house for 4 years when I lived in London. I used it about once every two months *eek*

Thought about selling it, but all these years later I still don't regret keeping it.

What about renting for a bit in your chosen area ? With all the uncertainty in the house market it doesn't make sense to move somewhere that you are not that sure about.

Sell the seven put deposit on enormous house, buy it, wait 15 mins for the price to go up by 100k then resell using the profits to buy a new seven and a beach hut on the North Norfolk coast. *smile*

So obvious surprised no one has mention it

Windy

Red and Black 1.8K

Cracks in the wall, I knew that the conker tree roots would grow too near the shed.

Have we got a subsidence clause in the insurance???

Have we got insurance?????

Actually whats a few cracks, ventilation to cope with the "odours" that appear and can' t we see the local girls school when they have netball practice through it without getting noticed.

In winter we can allways plug it up with stale bourbons...

When you realise the worlds not nice just drop your pants and slide on the ice!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in a similar position Tom. We (myself and the girlfriend) even went for a ride around the local estates today in the mobile house deposit (the 7) to see what we might be able to afford.

If I still have the 7 by the end of the year I'll be surprised ☹️ But at least I'll have my own place with the girlfriend rather than lodging with a fat, smelly, chef 😳