Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How much to pay for a 1.8 engine?

Brad Tipp

I'm looking to go from a 1.6 to a 1.8, so need a short engine at minimum. Anyone got any idea what I should pay for one? There are a couple on ebay at present, but they seem a little expensive.

T 1 PPB - Superlight

...Well yes officer I'm not arguing, it's just that [insert excuse here]...

Brad

I paid £425 privately for an 18,000 mile EU3 engine from a 2002 MGF, complete with inlet manifold, throttle body, injectors and alternator. I'm currently stripping it down, but it looks good so far as I can tell and the bores still have strong cross hatch honing marks showing. All a bit irrelevant though as I'm probably going to put forged pistons in, and am toying with Scholar evo2 as new liners are c. £140 incl VAT versus evo2 at c.£300.

Some breakers I spoke to were talking c. £625 for a recent 1.8 and a bare VVC engine (ie no ancilliaries) with allegedly 8,000 miles went on ebay for about £400 a month or two back.

Hope that helps

Dave

DVA has I am sure a number of 1.8 cast cranks second hand, also std rods modded to fully floating and you can get [well worth it ]a set of Omegas of him that will give you a very reliable 1.8

He'll rehone your existing liners for you or Scholar it for around £400.

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

Se7en Services.N.I.

hmm I think you have apoint. Maybe i'll have another chat to Dave at DVA about options and costs again...

Thanks for the thoughts chaps.

T 1 PPB - Superlight

...Well yes officer I'm not arguing, it's just that [insert excuse here]...