Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec Gearbox

Nic Day

Proberbly a quesition of they all do that, but just wanted to check.

I have a 2 ltr zetec on 45s with I am guessing a standard gearbox.

When I get off the line quickly and go all the way through the rev range in 1st and try to change to 2nd, it is a tough gear change. so making my 0-60 time slower. In other cars i have driven it does not seem to be a problem.

Is there anything I can do to make going between 1st and 2nd under a big load easier?

Cheers

Nic

Winner of the Largest pair in a non SV 7 (Rumble 2003) here

The standard 1st gear in the Sierra 5-speed box is very 'short'. This means for a given road speed the engine is revving at a higher speed. When you change to 2nd gear the comparatively large difference between the gear ratios means there is a large drop in engine speed, often dropping the engine out of the powerband.

Changing 1st gear involves taking the gearbox out, dismantling it, cutting the old gear wheels off and installing new ones that have a 'longer' ratio. In reality this ratio is numerically smaller.

I don't think this is what you were originally asking though. My interpretation of your first post was that the shift is physically difficult, i.e. there's a lot of resistance when changing from 1st to 2nd. I can only hazard a guess that there's something up with the selector mechanism.

Sam - thanks for this and yes I did mean it was physicaly hard to move between 1st and 2nd at high revs.

Jase - I have never changed the gearbox oil and I have had the car a little over a year. Is this something that should be done at a service?

Is it easy todo? can i a complete spanner numpty even consider it a job todo myself?

Thanks

Nic

Winner of the Largest pair in a non SV 7 (Rumble 2003) here

I am by no means a gearbox expert, but I have encountered the same problems as the original poster with the same box.

Here is my theory:

The large rev-drop between first and second gear on the standard T9-box, in combination with a standard flywheel makes the 1-2 gear change hellishly slow and heavy.

The synch rings in the gearbox will have to work very hard to spin all the right parts up the speed

in order to engage the second gear.

This is due to the large ratio difference between 1 and 2 in combination with an engine that, due to its heavy flywheel, just does not want to rev down "to meet" the second gear.

I've just ordered the ultimate solution to this problem: a Caterham six speeder with a 3.38 diff.

/Magnus F.