Click here if you are having website access problems ×

rev limiter for x/flow

G. brown

can anybody help me:

is it posible to fit a rev limiter to a 1998 17 classic x/flow?

if it is, what type? I have seen many in demon tweeks but they are not suitable for cdi ignition, what is cdi ignition? does it effect me?

also are they easy to fit?

Gary teeth.gif

Yep. I've got a Micro Dynamics visi scale rev limiter fitted to my otherwise "normal" atmo cossie engine. Page 154 of the 2001 Demon Tweeks catalogue. There are also Lumenition and Armtech versions, although I think the Lumenition version only works with the rest of the Lumenition ignition system fitted.

CDi stands for Capacitor Discharge Ignition (I think), and I doubt you have it on your crossflow.id=limegreen>

I've got a Micro Dynamics on my 1700 xflow - The scale is a little out, setting it to 7000rpm actually cuts out at 6500 and I am trying to break my habit of using the limiter to indicate gear changes when it starts popping [:P]

First thing I noticed was that without changing my driving style, I must have been exceeding 6500rpm on a very regular basis - so I am happy that I cannot completely trash the engine by over-revving in this way.

Cheers,

Graham

P.S. Only takes 5 minutes to fit after you've decided whee to mount the box.

I have an Omex Speed System which is a rev limiter and shift llight in one on my X-Flow which has Lumenition ignition. Both functions are settable independantly and the box is very small, comes with al wires and a dash mount LED for a reasonable amount of money.

John

I have the MicroDynamics RL4 (visiscale) which reads 7000rpm on the scale to give 6,400rpm soft cut-out. The reason that I recieved one for Xmas (thanks Ann) was that on a couple of overtakes that were a little hurried, I watch the needle drop down through 6500 on changing up to 3rd. This begs the question of where had it peaked????

My 1700 will keep revving to 7000rpm although I prefer not to put this much strain on it.

Cheers,

Graham

I remember from my Lotus Twin-cam days in the late 60s, there was a very simple mechanical rev limiting device which, from memory, seemed to work. It merely consisted of a modified rotor arm with a sprung centrifugal weight which at a pre-determined rpm moved out and shorted the HT.

To adjust the cut-out rpm you simply added (by a blob of solder) or removed rotating mass, then you just went for a blast and if the cut out rpm wasn't right play around until it was.

I don't know if you can still get these but they were cheap and they worked.

Brent