Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Followup to Zetec stopped, High oil pressure

PaulBaker

This is a followup posting to my previous questions about my Zetec stopping. General thoughts then seemed to be a dodgy fuel pump.

Would this in any way effect the oil pressure. I went out in my car last night and when starting up (no throttle) pressure was 6psi, bit of welly on the throttle and I was topping my guage at 10! Car normally runs about 4 on idle, up to 9.5 on motorway etc (there may well be a factor of ten out on these figures I can't remember).

I also noticed the fuel pump was still ticking when I parked the car up last night after a 10-15minute drive. I'm sure this is not normal? Or is it?

Cheers

Paul Baker

Oil pressure is in bar not psi! If it is psi I would be VERY worried!!!!!!!! I would suspect a duff pressure releif valve (I think Zetecs have them).

Fuel pump still ticking is quite normal, so don't worry about thatsmile.gif

Paul,

I'm sure you mean bar (14.7psi) and not actual psi in which case your normal figures sound spot on and your recent figures sound too high. At a guess I would look at some of the recent threads on oil pressure relief valaves sticking and failing to dump the excess pressure.

How can the fuel pump still run if the ignition is off ? and does it tick, mine make a whirring noise (quite noisy actually) but there are many different pumps out there and mine is not original

Cheers, Simon.

Just been and checked the oil pressure guage on my car. It is indeed in PSI, normal pressure is 40 psi-90 while driving. But recently has been showing 100psi at some points..!

Fuel pump has never been seen, so don't know what type it is. It does tick however, not whir. Can hear it if engine off, but ignition still on.

Paul

A Facet solid state type pump will 'tick' and carry on whist the ignition is on, without the engine running, although the rate of tick might slow a little as pressure is built up in the system.

As for the oil pressure, if the guage is reading higher than normal, I would suspect either the relief valve is sticking or the sender unit is on the blink.

I do not know what is normal pressure for this engine though.

Andrew

Paul the problem with the oil pressure is probably cured with a Ford modification to the oil pressure relief piston I would recomend you change this the Ford part numbers are spring 6664263 cost 98 pence piston 7188088 cost £2.56 to fit this on the 1.8L you unscrew the allen keyed cover to the right and under oil filter a 6mm allen key is needed slowly remove the cover as the spring cold fly out down the garage remove the piston then oil new one and reassemble.

Paul