Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Do they all sound like this?

Marcusbell

I've finally done it! On Friday I became the proud owner of a 1700 Super Sprint (still wearing the silly grin *biggrin* even though my first blat was on the M25 on a Friday evening in the rain).

I do, however, have one slight worry about the car - it "churps" when I put my foot down? I find that the noise stops if I ease off the throttle a little. Do they all do this or is there a problem somewhere?

Alternative noises are 'sneezing' through the carbs, which you should be able to see, and more worryingly pinking which is due to too much ignition advance. Get someone who knows cars to have a listen. Sneezing can be fixed on a rolling road and pinking by twisting the distributer by a few degrees.

if its a chortally suck its just the induction gurgle of the 40's and 45's on a zetec or Xflow. As the guys say if its poping/sneezing then you are too lean Tune time (mixture), if it pinking then tune time timing spark.

I use a manometer to check the suck on each pot then go by ear on the idel mix. Any thing more serious like main jets etc rolling road time

Thats about my knoledge

Rust Red

Marcus,

my 1600 starts by going vroom, daga daga daga daga, with a higher pitched ticky ticky ticky. The revs then go dooga dooga dooga and I'm away with a drrrrrrrrrrrrrum, gear change, woooooooomb, bumbum and so on. Hope this helps *thumbup* 😬

On a more serious note I do have a tinkly sound that comes from some loose covers behind the carbs. They are situated on the rear side at the top, where the carbs meet the manifold.

Cheers

Rowly

Owner of *thumbup*The Wombat *thumbup*

L7OC member

27,000 so far

my 1600 starts by going vroom, daga daga daga daga, with a higher pitched ticky ticky ticky. The revs then go dooga dooga dooga and I'm away with a drrrrrrrrrrrrrum, gear change, woooooooomb, bumbum and so on.

and to what tune is this played?

norman verona

1989 BDR 220bhp

Mem No 2166

the full story here

Marcus

almost certainly in your carb set up - need to get em fettled or learn to DIY. Always start with balancing up the air flows - get a proper meter - try

http://www.superformance.co.uk/parts/dino3/carb2k3.htm - great value and mail order is first class

then turn your attention to the idle mixture - Gunson Colortune is as good as any for another 20squid - available from halfrauds - get vouchers from halfrauds for discount - see LF for details

Webers go off tune after about 2/3 months depending how much the car is used so its a regular issue but once you have learned its only about 20/ 30 mins and the whistling budgies on speed will disappear

David

1989 1700XF SS with upgraditis

Sounds like you could have the new moulded 'O' rings that are really for 45's.

They give a reed effect as the air compresses back in to size again.

Check to see if each carb barrel has a singel ali ring held between the two bolts at 45 deg angle or if you have a moulded one piece twin 'O' ring. The latter is a great idea, just that they never made them for 40's! Hence the problem.

I got this on fitting the new type and went back to the old type with new rubber as the noise was horrendous!

If it's a thwacka thwacka sound then its the air going in and coming out again and going in again when at certain rpm and throttle sites... It's a cool sound.

Funny cos I have a "CLUCKING" no I did say "CLUCKING" sound at tickover .......... when I enquired why my car had a hen under the bonnet I was told the noise was made by the dry sump

isn't it great to have cars that actually make a noise, an no 2 are the same *thumbup*

R400 .......... I love it