Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Alternative fasteners for half doors?

John Howe

Hmm. What kind of speed were you doing? I've not had any problems with mine - although to be honest, most of my recent experience has been with a drivers-only HD - and that is basically protected by the side-impact bar...

As Peter C suggests, directional poppers (presumably along the leading edge would presumably do the job.

On mine, I added a couple of extra straps that pass over the sill / wheel-arch 'sill' and connect to the internal poppers that are placed there for full side-screens. These keep the bottom edge of my HDs flush against the side of the car and also provide some additional security - the straps and poppers are in tension if the HD is being pulled/ripped away from the side of the car.

Some pictures here

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Speed was around 80 mph...

I've never had any problems in the past and I am sure that this incident was created by my accidental dislodging the top front popper as I rushed to climb back in the car at toll booth.

With the front popper unattached, the vacuum created by the first lorry that I sped past, lifted the door away from the body and the wind did the rest!

What I am now keen to do is use a fastener that cannot be dislodged by accident but that isn't overly large!

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

I've had my car upto 130mph and my half doors did not come off ..............

However, I do have armrests fitted which act as a good anchor point and I bolt on a bit of plastic to the rear most windscreen fixing hole that clamps down the leading edge of the door. OK I was a bit paranoid about a door comming off after reading all the posts on here but it works for me *biggrin*

R400 .......... I love it

I vote for screwing them on at the leadng edge, using a poper base (the bases that the door attach to are screwed into body; undo these and screw back on withhalf door inbetween). You eed to b able to stp over the door, but youdon't worry about them fallingof.

Those toll booths are just the biggest pain in the 🙆🏻 earphones out, harness off step out fish for money pay back in car, oops sorry wave apology to driver behind for the wait.... decide if you make them wait more whilst you get your life in order or drive off to the right hand side and sort everything out properly..... glasses on and awaaaaay!!!!! *smile*

Time to invest in a Telepeage and Telepass....... drove me nuts on my tour to Italy and back last week........ *smile*

Sorry didn't spot any half doors on the road.......

David

*smile*

GF04RCE is built running and on the road.... every day is a Caterham day!!!! He heee!!... pictures here , I am as excited as an excited thing.....

Practice throwing your Euro coins into the Auto Toll for next time.......works for me.

I find the directional poppers are OK but a half tonneau fitted over the top of half doors will peel the door off the car at speed, as the fastenings are stronger between tonneau and door rather than door and car 😳

RW04FUN

1065 miles.....running in nicely 😬