Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Pumps

Not my problem for once. A friend bought a W*******d this weekend (B*****D - he could have had mine 3 months ago).

Car doesn't seem to have any paper history and all he was told was that it has a 1600 Xflow. (It's definitely a Xflow! - I spent enough time taking mine to bit's that I can tell by feel alone)The head has been changed to run unleaded and it looks as though the previous owner switched to twin 40's from a single downdraft at the same time.(there's a bonnet bulge and the carbs are new).

The rest of the engine spec, head, cam etc is an unknown quantity. It's certainly not a screamer though.

It has an intermittant bad misfire/loss of power. We've been round the houses trying to cure it and of course as soon as a potential solution is found the misfire disapears for 5 miles - then reappears.

To get to the point - the 40 DCOE's are fed by the standard Xflow mechanical fuel pump. Mine always ran from an electrical pump. Will the standard pump do the job for what appears to be a relatively low spec engine? I think maybe not

What ignition is fitted? standard dizzy and contacts, or electronic like lumenition magic eye? The problem could be electrical and nothing to do with fuel at all.

Own experience with 1700 cross flow was a damaged beam breaker arm for lumenition ignition causing similar problems, and also a broken connection to the alternator which was not visible under the insulator until rattled.

Happy Motoring. thumbsup.gif C7 WJW.

Have a feel/look under each barrel of the carbs, there should be a brass bolt going through the barrel that holds the chokes etc in place. There have a monotonous habit of falling out and will cause a misfire. I Wouldn't have thought it was mechanical fuel pump capacity related as they are good for about 150 BHP. Equally it could be all of the things mentioned above as well.