Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How bad is resting your foot on the clutch pedal?

Bingo

I've got a spacer between the clutch pedal and the centre bracket to move the pedal to the left. I then extended the master cylinder pushrod (I've got hydrualic clutch) so the pedal is very low. Plenty of room for foot as you have to "stretch" to reach pedal.

norman verona

1989 BDR 220bhp

Mem No 2166

the full story here

The foot rest in my Westfield does a great job, and does allow you to brace yourself better on tracks and road. And when you need a change of position, you simply put your foot under the clutch pedal. Chassis is a IRS for MT75 g/box BTW.

The tunnel panel next to the clutch pedal is made from GF and the rest is just a small recess so you can use it if you want to, and if not it doesn't get in the way.

Get that foot off the clutch - NOW

Mine's an SV so plenty of room in the pedal area *biggrin*

Went to Le Mans and tried sitting in a "standard" Se7en (if there is such a beast 🤔) : even with my dainty size 7's wearing my normal SV driving shoes there was interference with all the pedals

Up grade to an SV - you know it makes sense *wink*

Bingo,

I bought some karting boots from the well known Karting Circuit just outside Maidstone (so well known I can't remember the name *confused*but someone will be along with it in a minute no doubt) They cost about £50, and although not fireproof, they do great job *thumbup*

terry

Q783 OOR. Team Lotus colours with flares.

Sorry but i just have to comment, what difference does it make what footwear you have on !! I have driven my 7 in all manner of footwear including wellies and high heels (fancy dress party) Just seems to me you are all suffering from that "money to burn in my pocket syndrome" stop fussing and get on with it !

Rant over

Poor seven owner and proud of it !!

Glenn, if I wear normal shoes I tend to press at least 2 pedals at once, if not all three. And I've got my pedals wider spaced than standard. Anyway, it's much better driving in driving shoes as you can feel the pedals better for more delicate movements.

What am I doing explaining this, if you've got a 7 it's obvious.

norman verona

1989 BDR 220bhp

Mem No 2166

the full story here

Only one real solution.

Buy an SV.

Then there's room in the pedal box to tweak the pedals so you can heel and toe AND get your left foot down the side of the clutch pedal just like on a normal car.

Heaven 😬

You know it makes sense - just do it!

Silver SV SSR

Pa. You don't need an SV.

I'm size 9. I either wear deck shoes, Ecco slimline all weather black shoes (not avail in this country) or racing boots when I was racing.

No interference whatsoever. My clutch foot can easily pop under / between the clutch and brake pedal to rest and as said earlier it is comes as second nature to rest / bring in to operation when needed.

I do sympathise with those who have problems. I suffered the same issues in my short cockpit

1st 7 but at 6'3" thats hardly surprising is it.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

Hi Bingo,

I had a similar "heavy clutch" on my 7, turned out to be a clagged up clutch cable, got some parrafin and washed it through, now it's really free again the clutch is far softer to depress, just a thought. Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

My clutch pedal can swing forward so I can rest my left feet on the end of the foot well behind the clutch pedal. So there really is no problem with straining my left leg. I wonder if this is a standard feature in Caterhams?

SVs: I'm sure they're smashing and all, but I've only had my Seven for six months, my first one, and I'm not in a hurry to get a new one just yet :) I'll wait and see if it comtinues to be a problem, but I think I'll manage.

Heavy clutch: Thanks Nigel, that's perhaps worth investigating.

Glenn: if I wore wellies I'd press all three pedals at once, and I'm only just exaggerating. High heels, though, is an option I'd not considered... Do Momo do a range? And are they fireproof?

Thanks all, for your help and advice. Very informative first outing to the forums!