Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Coolant overflowing reservoir

TomB

Tom, have you tested your thermostat? I have had an ongoing problem with coolant loss for some time and took my thermostat out today and boiled it in a pan of water; it opened about 1.5 mm which I'm sure can't be enough so I left it out and tried the car with out it. Bingo, no coolant loss even at high revs; only thing is, can I harm my engine if I drive it without a thermostat? Advice someone please 🤔

James.

• 3 weeks later...

Well heater is out, bleed T fitted & new reservoir cap. COming back from MADS meeting last night, some coolant spat its self out again. I was driving at about 90 indicated @ 4500 rpm or so.

I havnt bleed any air out yet, I will try tonight & see what happens. Certainly when I checked at the weekend there was no air coming out of the bleed T.

I had better make some enquiries to get a hydrocarbon in the coolant check at a Rover garage & get the system pressure checked.

Car is still running fine

*thumbdown*

Dont forget to do the rad bleed valve test I mentioned above, this was the only consistent pattern I had with my car

And dont be suprised if the coolant analysis is negative - I had 4 done and only the 2nd one had any evidence of exhaust gases in the coolant

Good luck whatever happens *thumbup*

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

Not the same engine, but my 2.6 V6 has recently had very similar probs to yours. My first thoughts turned to HG, but haven taken advice from blatchat, I changed the expansion tank cap and hey presto problem solved and all for £2.8.

Chris

I am late to this post - to busy fixing my car;-)

I also come form the period (I'm old!) where if the HG went in a car it was obvious - mess around the head or milk in the engine. But these K's seem to like to take their time going - and fool us in the meantime. There have been at least 3 in the last 3 months (including mine).

Liner Heights are the key to mine and we did not spot it when the head came off first time round.Doh.

Well after 6 weeks and some painful moments I now have a car working. I had exactly the same symptoms as you and spent the first two months before this time, bleeding (often), changing radiator, thermostat, heater, pipes etc. and it still did not solve it.

Then finally took the plunge to talk the head off. Sure enough there signs of steam cleaning on two of the pistons. Liner heights looked within tolerance. Had it built back together and within 10 miles the HG had gone again. Cutting a long story short - having had the complete engine out - putting #4 liner against a good one, there was about 1-2 inches where the liner top had worn away (rusted) and there was a gap of over 4 thou. This is the most likely cause for my pressurisation of the water.

Now had the scholar block (and verniers), increased to 1800cc and have done 750 miles without issue . All this done with DVA who was more than sympathetic to my plight and also a few very supportive blatchatters.

You are right to try and fix the obvious (cheap) things first, but be careful you leave some room for these others - in case you do more damage to your engine if you ignore them.

Hope I am wrong about yours ...good luck.

tom

similarly late to thread and can relate similar tales of woe affecting both david's and my cars

performance holds up- i ran 13.07 @ brighton in the "ignorance/denial" stage

however- message is that i needed a new head wheras david's was salvagable- so early attention will save money

sorry ☹️

jerry

• 4 months later...

6 month update...

Ive changed the HG over Christmas. Key issues are:

1) plastic dowels on a Minsiter engine *eek*

2) rear dowel severly deformed & damaged rubber on HG next to dowel hole

3) no warpage of head apparent

4) engine had Minster seals on when I got it, suggesting the head hadnt been off for a while; all of the stretch bolts on the inlet side were stretched beyond their re-use criteria, yet none of the exhaust side where

I have done about 20 miles today at high motorway speed, including a 10 mile stint at approx 90-100* & no coolant was expelled & no air was in the coolant system when I checked at home.

I can only summarise I was getting some small head movement at sustained high RPM, evident by the distorted dowel which was drawing a small amount of air in.

Thanks for the advise *thumbup*

Tom

I second Nick's comments *thumbup*

Nick, easiest way of keeping the engine 'cool' is to do what I did today, came to work in it as I'd promised a neighbour the loan of my pit. (don't want the customary bottle of wine - I'll let him wash the Se7en instead 😬)

Happy New Year to you all

rog

C7 TNT - it's dynamite (Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey )