Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Leak from steering column area

mkinlen

Hi,

Don't know if any one may be able to help. During the sunny days when I've been making full use of the 7, a couple of times I've had liquid drop onto my shin from the steering column area, seems to be clear.

Any ideas? Nothing obvious leaking significantly when I looked in the area - I'm not technical so any ideas on what it might be gratefully received.

Thanks, Mark.

You may find that you have a little moisture in the seal of the bonnet to the body or have washed the screen, this then leaks through the bonnet down the pedal box and hey presto wet chins.

Try driving it in the hard rain and then it will very quickly become obvious.

James

Driving all year round with wet chins and a manic grin

Mark what you may have is a leak from the screen washer bottle pump, if this is fitted to yours as it is to mine, just inside the engine bay on the offside, riveted bracket to the scuttle panel, just where it can wet your pants, without even driving the thing, easy fix, take the pipe and wiring from the tank, remove tank from car, dispose of the contents, make sure the surfaces and dry and clean, apply a small bead of R.T.V. sealant to the pump flange that abuts the tank, push together aligning the pump in the correct place, leave some where to dry for 24hrs, refit to car, refill, and have fun, or it could be some thing more sinister, like leaking brake fluid, AARRRGGGGHHH , got to take a serious look at the car if it is, hope this helps, and don't worry about having wet pants when driving it, as they say if you aint got wet pants your not doing right

have fun regards

Nigel

My first guess is brake fluid. This is fairly easy to check. The brake master cylinder is near the end of the steering column, not unnaturally at the top of the brake pedal. There is a rubber seal around the push-rod from the pedal. Peal the edges back and look for fluid inside. If its not dry then its time for a new master cylinder. Personally I'd check this sooner rather than later just in case....

J

Thanks guys, guess I had better check it asap in case it is the brake fluid, however I have been using the washers for the first time recently with all those small very flat and dry insects on the windscreen. I'll check it out.

Thks, Mark.