Click here if you are having website access problems ×

V-TEC engine in Caterham?

maritain

Don't some (all?) Honda engines spin the wrong way meaning that transmissions then become a headache? Or is that blox?

Turbo'ings not a very pretty solution for any engine in a 7 in my opinion. Lag's not nice.

Apart from that, once you start bolting turbos on there are plenty of engines that can give this sort of output. The beauty of the V-TEC is that you can keep it nat.asp. and still get lots of power out of it.

All Honda engines rotate the wrong way except for the new S2000, so I'm led to believe. I have seen a version of the V-tec in a Westf1eld which has been encouraged to rotate the correct way. I haven't actually seen it running, but I'm assured it does, and it is very quick. I can provide contact details if you are interested...............

Don't be fooled. V-tec is a heavy engine. The throttle response isn't up to much either, so I would certainly set about a throttle body conversion.

I wouldn't mind setting the micrometer to the Honda components to see where the reliability comes from.

Peter

(my other car is an Integra Type R and I was distinctly unimpressed by the S2000 I drove).

FW400's........now there's a thing. I know of only 3 in existence. One is (or was) for sale through the factory at around 24 grand, I believe one is retained by the factory as a demonstrator, the third, I have no idea. The factory will claim to have sold loads to Japanese buyers in Japan (where else!), others will say that one got shipped out, and copied..........

Some of you are, no doubt, muttering something like "poetic justice" under your breath.........

VTECs do spin the wrong way so unless you can get a whole drivetrain from an S2000 (or you like driving fast backwards) it's a bit of a non starter.

A friend who works for Honda's advertising people reckons that Honda have never had a warranty claim on a VTEC engine worldwide - but that they won't advertise the fact for fear of tempting fate!

The S2000 engine is actually very light it's the components such as the injection systems, manifold, that put the weight on.

THe problem is the F20C in the S2000 is to tall , it is 1 1/2" taller than the K series.

And you won't find a dry sump system for it.

I had an engine did the research and rejected the idea.