Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec Suddenly stopped?

PaulBaker

Just a quick question, see if anyone has any ideas on this, not being mechanically minded myself.

I was out for a drive yesturday, had done about 80 miles, on nice A roads east towards S****horpe. Turned off the main road, onto a small B road, and after about 100 yards, the car just coughed, Exhaust backfired, and we stopped. The engine sound reminded me of the first journey in my car, when I discovered an empy fuel tank wasn't the same as zero on the fuel guage!

We rolled to a stop. Panicked slightly, then turned the key again. Car started fine. And we carried on our journey. Stopped and then drove 100 miles back home all without a problem.

Anyone have any idea at all what might have happened. My only though is maybe that it was an air bubble in the fuel line?

Paul Baker

Snap !

I had the same thing happen to me last night.

I've been working on a problem with my carbs with Jame Whiting, so I called him. After discussing with James, I'm looking at the fuel pump.

I'm no engineering wizard, so hopefully you will get a more complete list of likely causes from the techies out there.

Good luck.

Ian.

Yes fuel cap is flush fitting. But i've filled and emptied the tank a good many times in the past without any problems, and the tank was about half full at the time. Possible fuel pump problems I guess. Wait and see if it happens again I surpose..!!