Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

freestyle diffuser

Martin Ray

Hi Martin

I was speaking with Caterham Midlands re: these

They quoted that

The problem with Caterhams is front grip not rear

If you increase rear downforce, moving the centre of balance you loose front grip

The rear diffuser only works if you have a front splitter to balance the effect (see the EVO article in December)

Thought this made some sense

R400 and a bit ... got my polishing cloth out

I thought the main purpose of the diffuser is to increase the air pressure at the rear of the car in order to decrease Drag.

(Pressure Drag - an aerodynamic force will be generated in the direction of the lower pressure)

The square-ish back of a 7 will generate an air pressure lower that that at the front - Pressure drag. If the air pressure at the back is raised by a diffuser, closer the the pressure at the front, less Drag will result.

I diffuser is a divergent duct - velocity down. pressure up 😬

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Tony C, I`m no expert but that ssems to be a technical description of what I would describe as cleaning up the flow of air around the car. Anyone who has had a se7en up to 120mph will know that it doesn`t feel that well planted. I was under the understanding that this is what the diffuser was designed to correct ie it`s goal is to provide a more stable car at high speed.

New duratec powered build underway *New website soon*

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

@Paul Bowden

I don't think that the purpose of the diffuser is to starve the Diff of air! why do you assume that it is! My response stated that airflow to and from the diff as been achieved, this has been done without affecting the airflow thru the car.