Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series water leak

Peter Duce

Searched the archives but cannot find any topics on this.

I have had a small pool of water under the car after being left overnight. There are 2 places where this is happening; (1) where the water rail enters the head and (2) somewhere near the water pump where the pipe fits on. (Difficult to see, as no evidence on the pipe that is visible, only small stain on block where trickle has occurred.)

Up until last week there has never been a lot of water loss.

I was at a track day at Castle Combe last week; weather quite hot, keeping a careful eye on temp gauge and water levels. No leaks all day.

After driving home on the trailer, there was a load of water on the floor of the trailer, on the water pump side, header tank empty!

It seems that the water loss is only happening after the car is cooling down (and I presume, still has some pressure in the water system). The hoses look ok (but you cannot tell unless taken off) and after normal running this weekend it was back to losing a little water (only from the water pump side now!). However running up to temp on the drive and leaving, produced no leaks.

Anyone had this problem before? Should I be concerned about the water pump or just replace the hoses and re-seal water rail?

I had a water leak problem on the Rover (1.4 K series) a couple of years ago. The water pump was leaking. If the water is getting anywhere near the cambelt get it changed as it serious weakens it and it is expensive to sort out the mess afterwards.

Dave H

Peter,

I only noticed the leak when the car was left - a small pool of water under the front. Once the radiator was filled there was no overheating problem until the engine had been run for a while and then left - when it would leave its pool of water.

Dave

Same problem recently befell my 1400 SS. Water leak traced to the 'U' bend pipe coming from the water pump to the submarine pipe (& onto the rad. lower connection).

Had to make sure the jubilee clip was positioned just so and very tight too. Thought "Must sort this"

Replaced the 'U' hose with a new item as it appeared that the old one was getting a bit hardened and showed signs of cracking.

New 'soft' hose fine!