Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I'm going on a choo-choo!

Myles

When we needed to get to Aberdeen, we were faced with a very long drive, sitting on the train or flying.

Train was well over £200, didn't fancy driving up and back, so ended up driving south to Luton and then Easyjet to Aberdeen

2 hours to Luton, 1 hour in airport, 1 hour flight

Car £20 in fuel

Flight £19 each way (inc tax!)

Car-park £10 (ish)

And we wonder why the train system is frowned upon *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad*

Any way - Good luck *thumbup*

"I assume this will be refunded" - I can't remember when I last had interview expenses refunded! Seems to be a thing of the past! [stereotype]And in Scotland - surely not [/stereotype] (sorry 😬)

Good luck anyway!

G 4 Geoff

Leather Good - Carbon Fibre Bad *wink*

619 GTD here

*wink* i'm on a choo choo Thursday to Leeds for a customer meeting

i found if you book with virgintrains.co.uk for a tenner you get an upgrade to first class

now what is most amazing about this is that it is a GNER train, code FirstClassOffPeak3

which is cheaper than standard class, and i get to go in first 😬

Steve B

Big Black Beast^3 Lighten up everybody....NOW

USA 2005: How the West Was Driven

I suspect my outward train is probably classed as peak though - but I did book it through Virgin as they offer a direct connection from B'ham Intl to Edinburgh.

Now, if GTD is right about the travel expenses, I'll have to get a job in order to pay them - but I can't get a job without an interview... Hmm.

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Very, VERY good point Paul... *thumbup*

I don't receive JSA any more due to the ridiculous length of time I've been out of work - but I do sign on (basically just for NI contributions etc.) - so I probably qualify for some travel support if the firm doesn't pay up.

Thanks - I'll keep this in mind. *smile*

I'm going on the Fort William sleeped in two weeks time... £155 return for a lovely bed.. leave london 9pm friday, arrive fort william 9am. Climb Ben Nevis. Drink beer and whisky, and then get train back sunday night, arriving london 7am all fresh and ready for work....

So two nights accomodatiom, and transport for £155. That isn't too bad in my book!!

AFAIK, you can only get cheap flights if you book waaaaaaaaaaay in advance. I was given notification of the interview date less than one working day (i.e. Friday lunchtime for Monday) before travel...

Cheapest flight I could see (in a mad dash) was £190 + (presumably) taxis/taxes etc. at the other end (whereas I walked from the station).

...and they didn't offer to pay the expenses either (but they did offer me a contract, so perhaps I can persuade them when I start...)