Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roll Cages

olij

Hello!

Does anyone know what type of roll cage I can fit to my 1996 live axle? I'm not very familiar with the names or even who makes them so any guidance would be much appreciated. can you still fit the roof on over them and are the bolt in or weld in?

cheers

Oli

Caterham sell a Safety Devices-made full cage for the live axle car. (Safety Devices won't sell direct.) It bolts on to the car, with similar pick-ups to the FIA bar at the rear. At the front, it picks up on each end of the dash and on the to the forward end of the cockpit sills (using the threaded bushes for the Petty strut and its opposite number). The standard cage will fit under the hood (just!) but the tall one won't. I've just fitted one to my '93 live axle car, so let me know if you've got any other queries.

Simon

Thanks Simon - you've asked for it!

Right.

First of all, how many quids do Caterham relieve you of for the privilege (assuming you fit it yourself) including the side bar. Secondly, how tall are you? and do you fit within it comfortably - I am assuming that if you can fit in easily with the roof up then you can do the same with the cage and that it just depends on required helmet space? Can you still leave the adjustable seats in place - my headrest already touches the cross member on the fia bar - does the cage exaggerate this at all? Does the roof look the same when up i.e. do you still use the hood sticks?

Thank you!

Oli

The cage is, I think, 495 + VAT. You'll also need to replace the boot cover (neither the standard or FIA covers fit) at around 40 quid. I don't, as yet, have the side bar, so I don't know what that comes in at. I'm just about 6 foot and I'm comfortably under the cage. With a helmet on and thick rollbar padding, the top of the helmet just brushes the side bar that runs front to back when I tilt my head outwards but I'm still well under the rear hoop. Having said that, I have a foam seat and effectively sit on a (honeycombed) floor. Unless you're quite a bit shorter you would almost certainly struggle for headroom with adjustable seats and the standard height cage. The only headrest I have is bolted to the cage (there's a flange welded to it as standard with captive nuts for a headrest) so I don't know how your headrest would fit. The hood sticks are essentially in the same place, as the cage is the same height as the FIA bar, but the forward one may just sit on the top of the cage. I'm in Berkshire. If you're anywhere nearby, you'd be welcome to have a sit in my car and try it for size.

Simon.