Click here if you are having website access problems ×

dip stick/ s/sprint 1700

Gordon Barnes

Could someone please measure a dip stick from a super sprint 1700. I need length from cap ( where it meets the end of the tube), to the end of the dip stick. I also need the length from the cap to the full line. I broke my dip stick off and don't want to use the car without one until a new one arives. Many thanks.

From my 1700xf metal stick. (old type modified but accurate) :- full length 18.5 ins to full line from cap 17.25 ins. Hope this helps.

P.S. shouldn't you be in hospital if you 'broke your dipstick off'. Quite a painful replacement op I believe !!!teeth.gif

Edited by - John Whyman on 23 Jun 2001 16:15:54

Might be a stupid question but can anybody shed some light on the steel type modified dipsticks?

If I use the max mark on mine, I have no way of checking the level below this.

(makes it a bit hit and miss when checking the level away from a can of oil)

Are there any alternative types. I have heard about a yellow plastic one?

Steve

Emission Internet

Assuming you have a dipstick support, rubber dipstick tube and modified Xflow sump as supplied by Caterham, then:

Shoulder of dipstick to 'full' mark: 433mm

Shoulder of dipstick to 'fill' mark: 453mm

If you order a new one from Caterham make absolutely sure that they send you one with a BROWN end. The one they may supply unless prompted has a yellow end and is 20mm shorter.

(Caterham do swaps of dipstick between makes of engines so it doesn't necessarily follow that the dipstick will be a original Ford component).

Hope this helps.

The dipstick fitted to my 1700 Super Sprint looks like a standard Ford item with the end "broken" off. (I have checked and it has been machined offsmile.gif)

The only marking is an arrow that points to the very tip and the word MAX

The PO told me that when the oil can be seen on the tip - its full.

I am not sure about the sump - the one I have looks to be a bit "agricultural" but seems to do the trick. It also seems to be a bit higher off the road to some others I have seen.

Steve

Emission Internet