Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Help needed by a Seven virgin...

AndyPandy

My girlfriend won't get on the back of my yamaha R1 so it's time to get a caterham but I'm confused..

-whats the difference between a live axle and a De Dion axle..?

-dry sump-whats that...is it good or bad..?

-I'm 6ft and shes's 5ft10...are we gonna fit in one..?

Cheers everybody.

Andy

Andy,

1) price and di dion gives better grip due to less unspring weight and the fact that the geometry can be adjusted (fixed perpendicular and parallel in a live axle)

2) Stores oil outside the engine is a tall cylinder instead of a flat sump. Means oil pickup by pump cannot be interrupted by suge when cornering braking or accelerating.

3) I'm 6 foot and fit in fine. There are old short cockpit live axle cars around (discontinued around 1994) you won't fit in one of these. Girth may also be a problem if you want pretty seats and are over 16 stone.

Best Advice: Go to a club meeting and all will become clear. Members are generally a helpful bunch. You may even find a car for sale at one.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif who's running inwink.gifPlease pass!

See a car that can't possibly eat an R500 here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

AndyPandy,

Don't rush, there's plenty of time. As Arnie says go to a couple of your local meets (details here), chat to a few people, go to a couple of events (calendar here). Then get a ride/drive in a few to try them out for size, there's bound to be one that fits both the dimensions of you and your girlfriend and those of your wallet. Join the club (forms etc from here) and you'll find out even more from Low Flying.

Best of luck

Barry