Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cycle wing stays - tyre hugging style

YellowSeven

When I made my own aluminium wing stays (not something for the faint hearted) I made them so that they had two positions for 13" and 15" wheels. This was surprisingly difficult to do and I ended up having two different bolting positions at the point where both sets of bars meet towards the centre of the hub and different sets of movable supports to stabilise the wing. The difficulty is because there are so many variables in each position ie tyre height & width, caliper position, suspension movement and steering travel all of which are factors to consider. Mine fit very close, indeed probably too close as it can be difficult to remove the wheels, see page 30 (yellow & silver car) in this months low flying.

• 7 months later...

Old Posting. New question.

I will be cutting and rewelding my stays. How much clearance between the bottom of the stay and the tire should I allow? Looking for a closer fit but still able to take off the tire without unfastening the wing.

Thank you

Hi Jeff,

You will need quite a lot of clearance if you want to remove the tyre with the wing in place.

I cut mine down quite a lot and ended up shaping the sides of the (GRP) wings quite a lot with a bench grinder and file. This was remarkably easy to do without damaging the paint finish.

As a result the wings are lower profile, skimpier and 😬 lighter.

Duratec Se7en SV, built in Dubai, pics here! *cool*