Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crossflow fumes

PhilD

Hi

I have a 1600 crossflow with a rear exit exhaust, and experience exhaust fumes coming back into the cabin, have re-routed the breather pipe which has helped a bit. Is the next step to fit or modify exhaust to side exit ?

Thanks for any help with this.

Phil

A side exit exhaust may help, likewise looking back at previous threads on this subject. My immediate queries are:- does your crank case breather vent to a catch bottle?. If it doesn't then fit one and a vent pipe from the bottle down under the gearbox tunnel so that engine fumes are carried away underneath.

If it is purely exhaust gasses then a 4-to-1 and side exit box may do the trick. Get a second opinion, I run with a side box and have never had any problems.

Happy Motoring. thumbsup.gif C7 WJW.

John

Thanks for the reply, crank case breather goes to a catch tank with a vent placed as you suggest.

I think possibly fumes are being drawn in by the partial vacuum the car creates when moving forward, bit like a tin top with tail gate open and a flat pack Kitchen in the back !!!!!

Seems I need a side exit.

Phil

I know that smell so well having transported a complete flatpack kitchen thirty miles in my Beamer estate. Heady stuff and quite sick making, especially when you've got every window and the roof open as well and is p*****g with rain.

By the looks of Roger Kings ad in this months low flying a large keg and household flue tied up with bits of string seem to be the answer.

Happy Motoring. thumbsup.gif C7 WJW.

Russ

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure you're right, some of the smell is of petrol fumes, in fact I sometimes leave the car outside to de-fume for a while before putting it in the garage!! those K&N's do smell a bit.

But I think mostly its exhaust.

Cheers for your input Gareth, seems I should try a side exit.

My SIII had a rear exhaust as standard when I got it and there were no problems with exhaust fumes. When I added extra radius arms to cure perennial axle bending/leakage problems (much more effective than Caterham's "plate") the exhaust had to revert to a SII side position - no fumes either. However, being a bit of an old nonce with glasses, toupe etc, I usually use the sidescreens. Without them all sorts of random eddies and backdraughts occur which may give you problems whatever the configuration of your inlet/exhaust systems.