Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Anti Roll bars

Mike C

I've heard in the past that there is some handling advantage to be had by removing the rear anti roll bar. The car is a 94 Vauxhall hpc, with wide track on the front, running 325lb springs up front.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Mike,

I have just been openeing up the boxes of Roberts Superlight kit with him and the rear ARB assy is the same as yours. He has R500 wheels but SLR wheels would not havbe changed the ARB configfuration it would seem. He also got given a Vauxhall propshaft (shorter). Do you think Caterham are trying to tell him something???

It is interesting the K series sits further forward in the chassis (705mm prop vs 645 for Ford/VX). Unless this is recovered in the bellhousing length (which I will measure) seems the weight adv of the K could be lost through its positional mass.

No wonder the VX cars still clean up in the 750 club series..........

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif who's running inwink.gifPlease pass!

See Fat Arnies U/J eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

yes Chris, correct! And also the official recommendation from Caterham. They just said, to remove it as the only option here!!

Arnie, Now you have got me curious! How can CaterhaM supply a set up that would definitley not work with SLR wheels?!!

Here I am just bored and browsing around the web. Can't help but make a few comments...

Mike, depends who you talk to regarding the rear ARB as different people prefer different car setups. My two-penneth would suggest that with such a stiff front, removing the rear-anti roll bar is likely to introduce a shed-load of understeer.

Arnie, is the ARB for the underslung position? The Rover engine actually sits a couple of inches further back in the chassis. Compare the position of Robert's gear lever gaitor to yours.

Simon.

• Area Representative

Arnie,

The propshaft for a K-Series is 650mm long (+/-3mm). The builld manual I have states 703mm long (+/-3mm). I thought Caterham had set me the wrong one, but a phone call to the factory confirmed I had the right propshaft.

Simon,

A mistake in the build manual regarding the prop lengths?(i.e reversed) Would seem logical that the VX one is longer.....

The ARB in Roberts Superlight kit is an over the diff type unless they look extremely similar. Must admit I didn't look at the alloy bush clamps.

Now, even I, am really confused......

Arnie Webb

The Car in Front is Full of Lard....wink.gif

See Fat Arnies LardMobile here

Remove it in the short term.

Long term I think consencus of opionion is that having a softly set rear bar is a good thing so:

Mod the chassis rails to fit a SLR rear bar, rearward facing above the lower chassis tubes, under the diff. You'll need to weld or braze mounting tubes into the chassis tubes just behind the front mounting point of the A frame. Not done it but thought about it, doesn't look too hard.

Or get a bar from Juno, they made me an adjustable bar that fits to the two square plates under the tank, runs forwards below the de dion tube to the ear and clears the rims.

Richard

I was referring to the previous championship winners!

Graham,

Looks like SL's are shipped with the same roll bar setup as the the HPC's were 9 yrs ago.

With the same setup used on the JPE (fitted with SLR wheels towards the end of its production run) and all SL's being supplied with the rear bar kit and irrespective of the VHPD option pack (includes the big wheels)its a bit odd this lot does not fit concurrently.

What you say about the smaller dia bar is what I have found. I use the 3/8 bar on the third from soft setting. Works for me.

Arnie Webb

The Car in Front is Full of Lard....wink.gif

See Fat Arnies LardMobile here

Edited by - fat arnie on 24 Jun 2001 22:23:18

Thanks all who contributed to my original query,. The issue has now been resolved by the fitment of a Juno adjustable rear anti roll bar!

It works and it leaves ample clearance for the rear wheels, a good solution to the problem should any one else encounter it!

Thanks

Mike C