Click here if you are having website access problems ×

lotus twin cam head

Dobbo

I have a Lotus Twin cam head fitted to my 7 it has 1.625"inlet and 1.375" exhaust valves fitted and is ported and polished.It has full race cams in.Will it all work with Sprint or standard cams and will it perform more like a standard twin cam rather than a full race engine.

Can't give a definite answer here, but in all probability the answer is yes.

Chances are that valve springs will be over the top for standard cams, but if you don't change them they will probably run OK. Piston to valve clearances should be more than adequate with milder cams.

Compression ratio is another area that may need addressing. If you have full race cams, you may have a very high compression ratio. This can be a bad idea with mild cams and can lead to detonation problems in the midrange.

It would be a good idea to do a little bit of investigation before chancing it.

Incidentally, what have you been doing since Ken became mayor?

Edited by - roger king on 22 Jun 2001 23:37:44

Ihave a similar spec. of head fitted to my Twin Cam and Ihave fitted L14 cams. It has 45DCOES, 4:1 exhaust. It gave about 160BHP on

a dyno, pulls like a train from 2000rpm and revs quite cleanly to 7500rpm.

Roger and Chris, thanks for the advice, I set the C.R when I converted the engine from crossflow to twin cam 10 years ago, cant remember what to now but it was not extreme so I will try milder cams.Anyone have any for sale?Chris, what spec are L14 cams,(tell me more)I'm living in the past and only understand Sprint L1 or L2.

Roger, I dont understand Ken and the Mayor....please explain.

So if I was Lord Mayor I could have a flag on the nose of the Seven!!

Camshafts! The ones fitted are marked up L1 with another obscure number etched after, any way of telling what they are by measuring?