Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1969 Fiat 500 L tax-exempt, fully restored - very tidy appreciating classic, imported 2002 UK registered G-plate

masha

See ebay posting for full details but this very nice restored Fiat 500 is totally original and extensively restored at huge cost. New project forces sale.

see ebay item no. 2483360700 which is hot off the press today. £3000 will secure to a L7Club member with a 5% donation to NTL upon completion of sale (£3250 on ebay).

Summary: a super little vintage run about that returns of 60mpg and is tax exempt.

email ms81@cant.ac.uk for more details/photos.

Actually cost in excess of £5k to restore to this standard and a mint RHD fully restored Fiat 500 is worth upto £6k these days with a genuine Abarth 595 reaching nearer £10k (which I am actually seeking-out actually)

Each to their own eh, have enjoyed owning a Fiat 500 along with my R500 until recently (both ends of motoring evolution spectrum - I think).

Doclip, I think you will find there are lots of people who will happily hand over £3k for a car like this. I wouldn't but there you are. Good luck Masha, I think the opposite end of the spectrum to an R500 is a 2CV4, the one with the 425cc motor, or if you're a real purist, one of the original 375s. As I was cycling home from work yesterday I passed one of these (2CV4) as it was wheezing away from a junction. Some couple of hundred metres later I glanced back, expecting it to be gaining on me, but it wasn't so I carried on at my customary blistering 14 to 18mph. Some while later it eventually strolled past at all of 20mph, sounding remarkably unhurried and friendly. There's a certain charm in the things if you aren't in a hurry...

I liked the story about the 2VC overtaking - supurb. Can't say I've ever overtaken anything in "Cornetto" - sorry the Fiat 500 (every club member gives their 500 a pet name and ours, or rather Rosemary's, as it is actually hers, is better known as Cornetto). I didn't realise early 2CVs were even smaller capacity than the original 479cc Fiat 500 - you learn something everyday.

Happy motoring everyone.

Masha

Canterbury, Kent

Thanks - I agree, don't worry he must be out of my league with his motoring expertise - sort of response I'd expect from Ferarri owner who wouldn't be seen dead in a 1960's micro car they had to service regularly themselves. Still Doclip must have a 7, and he did start his reply with statement 'no-disrespenct so it can't be all bad (mind you I've had similar responses from people when I spent nearly £30k on my R500, things like "£30k for a kit car with a Rover engine and no windscreen" - sometimes people just don't understand (which is understandable as I consider £25k for a Transit van with 7-seats in it, ie some modern people-carriers, eaqually crazy). Each to their own I guess, enjoy your motoring (whatever you drive)

I agree as any well-used 60s/70s Fiat/Lancia were complete rust-buckets, and like a 7 an imaculate 500 in this day and age is something that requires lots of TLC to keep it tip-top order. In fact the Fiat is almost as impractical as a 7 after it was completely rebuilt and I gets upset even if it gets rained on (and spend ages drying it off again). Wouldn't mind trying a 2CV myself one day, and a decent early mini, and Healy sprite, and a Karman Ghia one day would be good too. Its good to step back in time an see just how far we've come in terms of motoring which is why I like to keep at least one classic in my collection at anyone time (makes you appreciate the everyday car, and even the 7, even more).

M

Masha,

Goodluck selling the car, it this had been 3 months ago we would have been seriously tempted to come and have a look.We have a Smart cab on the fleet at the moment, and love small different cars, even though I'm 6'3+!!

I was prompted to reply just because of this comment.

"No disresepct ,but if youv'e spent 3K restroing this pile of pooh ,you need your head examing -and you dont have a hope of getting anything like that back"

I think most people on this forum plough money into their cars for the enjoyment, not purely for financial gain at the end of the ownership.

Good luck selling it Matt.

Thank you Mr NormalBloke.29

... and I guess I do just enjoy re-creating things from the past, a pastime I extend to refurbishment of 7's, push-bikes and even Lawnmowers (and more recently old PCs). I guess I'm just rebelling against today's "throwaway" society. I do get frustrated at people that dismiss perfect good piece of kit just because its not the latest model - goes on in every industry these days, so much good stuff ends up in landfill sites these days, its madness.

Steptoe

I have a passion for collect everyone's old, "broken" tools.

I've a fantastic Dyson DC01 that I rescued from a skip when a friend moved house. She was throwing it away because it didn't work. When I opened it up there were no filters in it so the motor etc was jammed full of carp.

Gave it a thorough clean, new filters and brush belt (got for £10 when the local shop closed down) and hey presto a new hoover...sorry Dyson. *thumbup*

Similarly, I have acquired a second chainsaw, a Suffolk Punch lookalike, an electric planer..all for similar reasons.

Steptoe 2 *thumbup*

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Nifty.

Having read your thread on the the Dyson, I think the reason why the filters were removed was because she was vacuuming out a fish pond. This made the filters very wet so they were removed and explains the CARP that was stuck in it!!!! 😬

Masha.

Just bought a traded in Fiat ChinkyChento (incorrect spelling but phonetically correct!!).

Cheap insurance as the mega motor (889cc) puts out 39 BHP !!! Great for a first 'get-some-no-claims-bonus-in' car for Suzi Sevens daughter,Anna (18 yrs old). Cheap tax too.

All thanks to Clive (fellow Seven owner). *thumbup* 😬

excellent a whole community of Steptoes. A Dyson full of carp though (I think I knew what you meant), or perhaps the owner thought it was an aquavac and tried cleaning out their pond.

I (with a little help from area organiser, Chris Clark), regularly keep a 30 year old Suffolk Colt going too.

M

Another cracking little car is the Ford Ka. My Mum bought one recently, brand new, the princely sum of £5k, and it's all you could want from a small car. Neat handling, fun to drive. I never thought I'd consider a new car a good buy, but there's not a lot wrong with a Ka at that price.

Masha -wasn't meaning to be disrespectful as everyone has their own idea of whats nice or not ,and thats great

I've got the T shirt from old Lancias and alfas and actually my Dad and uncle were heavily into Italian stuff -so i grew up with all this during my childhood .

however is have bitter memories from my italain owernship while a junior doctor ,and while i would love to have another old Itlaian classic ,my wallet says NO.

The point i would make is that if build quality was crap to start with ,then there is only so much you can do .

I can understand the charm wrt micro cars and im told they are curiously mega cheick pullers [honestly ]

Hope you get your price

Regards

89 HPC BDR 170 bhp yellow / black cycle C6 BJL

Blatting around Angus and Perthshire with a permanent grin

# 27272

Thanks Doclip - understood.

You'd be amazed how fanatical the Club Italia owners are about their Fiat's and Lancias - I know someone that has spent over £20k re-furbing a Lancia Delta and someone else that has ploughed £14k into an Abarth Fiat 500 (and I must admit it is the business, but I'd prefer a 7 for the money). Its only like the 7 market - most people on the street would spend £14k on a Ford Focus rather than a 7. Its the same with the Italian collector's niche cars I guess, but its nice that all classics have some sort of following (and becomes even more challenging to renovate them to a high standard when, as you rightly say, very often they weren't put together very well in the first place).

Yes, I only had one Great Italian Car Ownership Experience. A 92 Alfa 33, great handling, great engine note, reasonably quick, tragically unreliable, I still have the remains of a con rod it spat through the side of the block on the A1 near Durham. I'd still like a Fulvia but the prices are ridiculous at the moment and I suspect it would be furiously expensive and a bit of a disappointment. A better choice round here has to be a 2CV and to hell with going fast. Curiously they are "mega chick pullers" round here and you get personal ads in the 2CV mags along the lines of "25yo woman seeks 2CV owning man for tours of the countryside". I kid you not, the woman in question was at the other end of the country otherwise I'd have bought a tin snail and rung her straight off.

In fact...

Battered

If you want a Fulvia definitely go and buy one. £5K should see you in the very best of 1300s. Parts availability is good, and whilst some parts are notoriously expensive (e.g. wheel bearings and body panels) most are very reasonable.

They are fantastic to drive - not fast, but they somehow feel right - or at least do to me! More so than 105 series Alfas. HFs are quick today. Mine would have seen off the Ford Puma we had at the same time.

Do not confuse them with Suds, Betas etc. The engineering of a Fulvia is of the highest quality. They are pre-Fiat Lancias in terms of design & engineering. When new they cost as much as a Jaguar saloon.

Sorry to distract from a Fiat sale thread....

Jonathan