Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil pressure on K / Head Gasket

Red SLR

K head gaskets are fine and rumours of their inadequacy are usually down to cooling problems in mid engined installations or incorrect choice of coolant leading to cavitation erosion of the head.

I get 6 Bar at 60mph and 2 bar at a stand still. Is this ok?

Yes.

The pattern of behaviour you quote is right. The 6 bar sounds highish (I would expect nearer 4 depending on whether hot or cold), but I don't necessarily believe your gauge. What oil grade are you using? This is in a standard Supersport isn't it?

When you say incorrect coolant, what do you mean? I use Halfords high performance anti freeze / coolant, is this ok???

It is a SS on D2HTBs.

Using Comma Syner G 5 w 40 as recomended by the factory.

Is this ok??

Thanks

Simon.

X777CAT

To be safe with the Halfords stuff I would mix in some Redline water wetter.

I use Rover 4 year summer coolant/antifreeze which is much the same stuff as Comma Coldstream and as it is propylene glycol based it is radically different to the majority of ethylene glycol coolants.

I experienced this corrosion damage from using some (forget which) ordinary antifreeze mix, which resulted in a total cylinder sealing failure although the head gasket was intact. This required a major skim of the head (20thou) to fix.

As not everybody suffers this, there is the likelihood that it was all kicked off by my radiator cracking at the Nurburgring, although that is pure speculation. The best thing to do is look very closely at the packaging for the coolant you are using and make sure it assures you that it is suitable for aluminium engines. The Redline Water Wetter does most of the important anti-corrosion stuff as well as removing the likelihood of hotspots.

and as it is propylene glycol based it is radically different to the majority of ethylene glycol coolants.?????????????????? EH???? I have not a clue?!

But it did say on the container that it is suitable for high performance engines and is ok for ali.

What about the oil?

X777CAT