Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Embaressing Question...

RobM

Hmm, lovely sound from the exhaust notwithstanding, I'm afraid I must fit a stereo to my Seven also. Music works for different people in different ways, and I really miss music if it's not there. I think I must spend less than 20% of my waking hours without it. And that's without going into the emotive overload of blatting a car, with your favourite track running - I wouldn't want to imagine one without the other.

Rob - with a Seven anything's possible, really. Fixing the radio seems to be fairly straightforward - just a question of supplying power from the nearby fusebox, and scheming some sort of mechanical mount for the head unit. Like this here Tricky bit I think is where to put the speakers. Currently I'm favouring the hollow panel by the shoulders, though that will put the speaker behind the seats a bit. There aren't many suitable places when you consider that it will need to be near head height to stand some chance of hearing it at speed.

I expected people to say 'why' :-DD

Basically, for the same reason as Luke....I love music. My two main loves in life are cars and music. Sure, for the odd weekend blast its possible to do without quite easily! But when I get my seven I'd like to use it everyday for commuting if its not rainy and cold, which means sitting in jams etc. Also, trips to Le Mans and the 'Ring with my mates are on the cards, and I don't fancy 50mph down an autobahn in silence for hour after hour!!

Thanks for the link Luke. Looks quitea neat job...obviously a purpose made mounting there. Caterham could undoubtedly help.

cheers. Satisfied a little curiousity that had me wondering while I wait for the big day when I get my car!

I to like my music, but surely its nigh on impossible to hear over the tones of the exhaust and wind ?

I to use mine to commute, but I am unaware of any limitations on "cold" or "wet". I beliive a warm coat and heater solve the first and not slowing down solves the second.

I also am lead to believe there's some sort of over the head device called a "roof" I have managed to find one of these most rare of options twice in the past 9 months and 17,000 miles. And yes it is a second car to the company box.

Make your colleagues and friends think your a nutter by driving to work in the snow, rain and hail and grin like only a seven driver can.

Enjoy !

James

If it's not impossible to hear music over the exhaust etc then your car isn't loud enough. Buy a new exhaust and induction system instead.

I also love music, but the 7 and it are not exactly compatible with each other.

Perhaps learn the words to your favourite tunes and sing them at full volume when having a good blat.

I think the Autosport car had its speakers between or behind the seats. Does anyone do a head unit with MP3 yet? Not great sound quality perhaps, but it absolutely will not jump...

Although I would not fit a sterio into mine I sometimes, on long journeys would like to hear the radio - usefull for those trafic updates. For a while I thought the best idea was a CD Walkman with radio through headphones.

The only work needed doing to the car would be a power supply to a small transformer so your not replacing betteries all the time. Some velcro on the tunnen, in front of the gear lever, to fit the unit and bobs your uncle.

Luke.

Saw the photo. What happened to the rest of your passenger or was that the only part you could get in due to the radio.

But seriously do you not find that you passenger is always cathing their legs on it.

Happy sevening

Better to go in a blaze of glory than to fade away teeth.gif

Rob: YMMV, but I didn't find Caterham to be particularly helpful on this front. All I could ascertain was that if I wanted to put a stereo in I would have had to specify before I ordered the chassis. Still, it's not rocket science to nail one in, and I've been through this before with my Midget:

As for wind noise, I guess it could be a pain at high speed, but then you just crank the stereo up! And fitting a loud exhaust & induction is all well and good until you go to a needle-butt track event sad.gif Which incidentally is another reason for music: get on track with the right sounds and 'attack mode' comes naturally. When I get my F1 drive I'll insist on wearing a walkman, the pit crew will have to shout teeth.gif

There are quite a few MP3 units out there, none solid state as far as I know - they're 2.5" & 3.5" HD based, or ISO cd based. But I have Minidisc...

Petrolhead: That's not mine! If only my Seven were on the road sad.gif That pic was one of several that some kind chap took at Stoneleigh, no idea whose 7 it is. Incidentally, these look neat if you're going to go the headphones route.

Edited by - Luke Beaumont on 22 Jun 2001 11:25:50

If you really love music, you may end up deciding not fitting a stereo.

You will undoubtedly turn the volume up to overcome the high background noise levels and will be a short time before you are deprived of the pleasure of music permanently by the insistent keening of your tinnitis.

I've fitted an intercom to my Seven - primarily for communication with my navigator during rallying.

The intercom comes with a jack-plug socket for music in and i'm planning to get hold of a hard disk based MP3 player for those longer journies.

The intercom is fitted inside the boot on the seat back bulkhead. volume settings need to be done before getting in but its worked fine so far.

i feed the coiled leads through under the poppered/bolted edge of the boot cover to between the occupants shoulders.

I used "practise headsets" during the Liege Agadir trip and only got questioned by a single Spanish policeman as to the legality of them. I would be happy to run them in the UK as all rally cars operating on public roads use them!

Even if Plod pulled you over I can still hold a sensible conversation whilst wearing them. They're only there to protect my hearing from the wind buffeting - honestly!

Travellin' Man

Tony Boyd

97,000 miles in 6 years!

Isn't the safety of motoring and good driving 'listening' to everything thats going on around you and making good judgements on the feedback you get question.gif. Being blasted by music whilst driving the seven is not only an insult to good music, it shows your mind is elsewhere. IMHO the seven is a driving thing not a ghetto blaster on wheels. Nuff said.

Happy Motoring. thumbsup.gif C7 WJW.

John: I know what you mean. If I'm concentrating, I don't even notice that the CD has finished in my current car!! But 12 hours on motorways to get to Le Mans hardly stretches the brain and a radio would be nice.

Maybe I've just got used to havin one in the car, and I'll soon get used to not having one. My dad's had several pre 1950 classic cars, and he doesn't seem to mind on long trips.

OK, it's admittance time!blush.gif

I used to have a Dutton Phaeton (as well as the 'Esprit'!) and that came with a radio cassette fitted. The speakers were behind ones head position. It worked OK, but with the straight through cherry bomb 'silencer'(?) doing a very poor job of cutting the Fiat twin cams sound output I found that one was constantly turning the volume up and down to keep the output correct for different speeds, road conditions, town use etc.

IMHO much better to enjoy the cars own 'musical' output from the right foot organ pedal!!!smile.gif

Edited by - chris clark on 22 Jun 2001 23:02:22

Even when my car was in it's quieter incarnation, I could not hear David Lee Roth at full blast on my minidisc walkman with the in-the-ear type headphones, and that was with doors and screen on. When I played the walkman at the same volume indoors, it became clear that my car creates enough sound to cause a permanant shift in hearing on it's own! I think that to be able to hear music enjoyably, you need closed headphones or a ponsy powder-puffy K-series engine smile.gif (ducking for cover!!) teeth.gif

Alex

Edited by - Alex Wong on 22 Jun 2001 23:14:45

Edited by - Alex Wong on 22 Jun 2001 23:15:29

I went down to the Caterham showroom a few months ago, they are now selling new Caterhams complete with Alpine stereos. The speakers being situated in the leather seat headrests. Seemed like a good place to put them. Whole lot wasn't cheap though.

Paul

I not sure I like the thought of having heavy, and hard, speakers in headrests. What happens if the back of your head comes in to contact with them during a rear end shuntquestion.gif It would be worse on a track day too, with potentially higher speeds. Not good IMHO.