Click here if you are having website access problems ×

how much faster

Gambo

Just thinking of what to do next. currently own a 95 HPC standard engine, wide tracked, running 13" wheels with 032's. Freestyle susspension.No screen,heater weighing in at 554KG's. I am thinking of either tuning the engine, or using the money towards an SLR or suck K-series trum. so I get to the question. Does anybody know how much faster an SLR is round say Castle coombe than a well set up HPC?

Tuning priorities should be decent gearbox ratios and a light flywheel. It isn't power that you are lacking, but the ability to deploy it effectively.

A move to throttle body fuel injection gives you the potential for big power. If yours is a carbed HPC, this requires a new fuel tank/pump and new fuel return piping and high pressure pipes. It is easier to do on injected car. A cam change and a bit of careful cam timing and you will have no embarrasments from a power delivery point of view. ARP rod bolts for bottom end strength.

Don't know what brake spec you have, but careful attention here can make a big difference on a circuit.

The ease of use of the controls also helps. Sitting comfortably works wonders too. Tillets and perhaps a set of high ratio pedals...

Gambo,

Can't answer your query about lap times but the obvious upgrade assuming you are on carbs would be to go fuel injection (e.g the SBD 208 bhp set up here). Engine easy to handle on the road with loads of torque meaning that you wouldn't need to move away from a 5 speed box.

This puts you on the bottom rung of a very long ladder of possible upgrades that could take you to 270+hp if you wished / had the money.

I guess it ultimately depends if you prefer the VX engines characteristics over the K engine.

ultimatly, I just want to go FASTER! I can get v close to the SLR's (quick drivers) at the moment, so i guess i'm just woundering whether would it be more economical to sell up and buy an SLR or tune the HPC. already done brakes, flywheel, and 7.5" clutch.? power as said is standard 175-180 on carbs.

It might sound like a dumb question, but why do you want to go faster? If it's for the sheer visceral thrill of a higher top speed and more acceleration, then you obviously need more power.

SEP field working, not spotted in 101,600 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 10 June

I should be more clear, I sprint my car. good fun not too expensive ,and good dy out. but it's one of those things I guess, that as time goes on, and you look fore more speed and quicker times because they no longer fall, you look at the car and say how do I make this go around faster? more power, better brakes? or improve the suspension or swap for a better car,or better driver. I have done most things to the car, I'm stuck with the driver though(me). the power is the expensive bit. so do I carry on with the current car or upgrade? (money permitting of course)

I think you would have to have a go in one. Have driven a 2.0 vx powered Westfield (a mates) and this doesn't turn in anything like my Superlight. Don't know if it's a big heavy engine thing or a westfield thing! Also driven a Blackbird and turn in seems a little keener on that than Superlight.

I think basically the lighter the front end the better turn in will be allowing you to settle into a corner quicker and improve your times.

I guess for sprinting torque could be an enemy lighting up tyres out of tight corners. Again in order:

2.0 VX Lights tyres up easily, slow out of corners

1.6ss Better

1.1 Blackbird - amazing traction & acceleration out of bends

If you were ever at a trackday that I was on you would be welcome to have a go in my k series just to see. I am sure if you meet up with others regularly they would let you compare.

Gambo

If it was my car I would remove as much weight as possible. Make sure the suspension is set up properly and that the handling is as good as it can be. I would then tune the engine to around 220 bhp as it is as much as the stock gearbox will take.

The head and manifold on the VX are a bit mediocre in stock form and can be vastly improved. Add a decent set of cams and verniers. ARP rod bolts if you don't already have them. Fuel injection is the only way to go in my opinion. This can be added at a later date if funds are a problem. All this work can be done with the engine in situ.

The VX is a good engine although a bit on the lardy side. The alternative is to fit a Duratec. You would immediately lose some 40 kilos in weight. It is child's play to obtain 220 bhp from either a 2 litre or 2.3 litre Duratec. Not a cheap option but one that more and more people are going for.

If you decide to stick with the VX you could at a later date fit an upgraded gearbox and tune the engine further. Ultimately weight will always be a problem with the VX. Unless you have huge balls and can really drive it will never be as fast around the twisties as a K / BEC or Duratec. Doesn't mean you can't get it to go. Just depends if you are happy to reach a certain performance level and enjoy it or if you feel you need a better solution than have an overweight engine. 40 kilos is a lot and affects the power to weight by no small amount.

No offence meant to VX owners. Just my opinion.

AMMO