Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LSDs for Ital Axles

R2D2

I have just been speaking to Tran-X in Coventry and they are now producing a plate type LSD for the Ital Axle. They can supply this unit in several configurations to suit road and race track use. The advantage is that this unit has a pre-load built in so that it will work even when one wheel is un-loaded unlike some of the other LSDs around. I don't have any connection with Tran-X but I have used thier gearboxes in the past and found them to be very good.

web-site www.tran-x.com

tel 024 7665 9061

I had quite a long discussion about half-shaft kits and re-design to give a solution similar to the Quaife 3/4 floating kit for the English Ford Axle but they don't have anything to offer.

I have now managed to get hold of a spare axle so I don't have to take my car off the road and will be stripping it this week. I have every intention of trying to re-design the bearing arrangemets and getting new half-shafts manufactured from a more suitable grade of steel. I know that Marina half shafts used to made from EN8 and were induction hardened on the splines so making significantly stronger shafts will not be too difficult and not too expensive.

CWPs will be a little more difficuly but I do have some contacts in Italy that can cut suitable gears and I am trying to find prices at the moment.

The plan is then to find some suitable alloy calipers and a handbrake arrangement that will give the right balance with some decent front calipers.

I hope to have it all up and running so I can do a re-build over the winter and test it all in the spring of next year.

Edited by - chris flavell on 22 Jun 2001 17:43:32

Edited by - chris flavell on 22 Jun 2001 17:45:32