Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Clutch change

Mark Andrews

I have split the engine from the box in the car left the gear box in situ and removed the engine to fit the clutch. I have seen Caterham using this method to change a clutch. Unforunately you can`t just drop out the gear box due to the bridge in the transmission tunnel.

• 3 months later...

Rob, what model of K do you have? I'm about to remove the engine on my 1999 1.8SS to replace a knackered clutch release bearing. I'd prefer to leave the box in situ, but the horizontal room for manoeuvre is very limited (about 11mm between cambelt cover and top chassis crossmember, and even less between crank pulley and lower crossmember). How far does the engine need to move forwards to clear the driveshaft to the box? And do I need to raise the box itself to help things along? (When I assembled the kit in the first place, the question didn't arise as I installed engine and gearbox as one unit.)

JV

I followed Rob's advice and left the gearbox in while I changed my release bearing, and thankfully so - you don't need to move the engine very far forward to get at the bearing, so the gearbox can remain exactly where it is. However, you do need to raise the engine slightly to allow it to move forward enough, but I simply supported the engine on a trolley jack, which seemed to do the job. Also, you won't need to disconnect the fuel lines coming from the transmission tunnel. Even if you take your time, it'll take you a day to complete the job. Good luck!

Bt the time you have fiddled and farted around breaking the engine from the box within the car and jiggled things around to make space between the box and engine, it would be easier and quicker to remove the whole unit and do the change out on the bench. Also less chance of bending that splined shaft.

Chris