Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Daft K question

Luke Beaumont

Reassembling my K, and the crank timing pulley is remarkably slack on the crank nose. Tightening the bolt on it and the alternator pulley would no doubt fix it in position, but before that stage there feels like a degree or two of rotation, which must surely fritz the timing. No metal has been removed from either component in that area. Is this normal, and I'm being too critical or is something awry?

Thanks,

Luke

Luke,

I have just tried my timing pulley on my steel R500 crank and can confirm that there is about 1 degree of movement. This shows the importance of setting the timing up using a DTI, timing the valves at TDC on overlap. I only use the timing marks on the belt cover and pulleys as a reference when assembling then complete the set up using a DTI from true DTC

This is quite normal, but can get worse with wear and tear. The method of location does not exactly leave one full of confidence. You can also get wear on the lug that locates the poly'V' pulley to the timing belt pulley.

While this is not immediately serious, the whole assembly can start to fret and lead to a loosening of the crank pulley bolt. This is immediately serious!

So make sure that the whole assembly is in good condition and make sure the bolt is correctly tightened. I'm not normally a fan of using Loctite on everthing, but I think there is a case for it here, especially on higher revving conversions.

Rob: forgive my thickness, but DTI? An acronym I'm unfamiliar with. At the moment the engine's going back as standard (VVC) so I'll have to live with it being a little timed out without adjustable cam pulleys to sort things out.

Roger: thanks for the tip, I'll do that. Slipping a bit of shim brass on the flat of the nose removed the slack, but as I generally steer clear of unsecured bits of metal I thought I'd check here first.