Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Raceco Silencer (and are there any others)?

BrianHorn

The raceco is very nice *thumbup* but if funds don't stretch you could try CBS (Car Builder Solutions), They do a 6" stainless repackable for about £200. You will have to modify the angle of the inlet pipe on the exhaust to fit your existing 4-1 / 4-2-1 collector, but it looks and sounds awesome.

regards

peter H

I have one, a 7.25" version, not had it long (couple of months), but pleased with the results so far, passed a 98db drive by limit at donnington with it the other day.

Ask me again in a years time and I'll tell you how its has faired. They're not cheap but they seem to be good quality and effective silencers.

I guess mine is one of the early ones, given I bought it second hand last spring from someone who had put the original system back before p/xing his car.

It still looks as new, and is beautifully/elegantly made. It possibly needs repacking but that is not an issue.

In short - recommended.

Jonathan

Edited by - JonathanG on 23 Jun 2004 08:56:57

I got mine about a year ago

Really well made piece of kit and excellent service

Made a huge difference to the noise levels on my SLR - got kicked off Donny last year with the standard Caterham jobbie (the catalyst for changing) but no problems since fitting the Raceco.

Highly recommend *thumbup*

• Leadership Team

Highly, highly recommended.

Quietens the exhaust note down such that I have not had any noise limit problems at tracks since fitted. It also sounds very nice with it, and you can hear the induction doing its bit too.

Beautifully made and looks great in my opinion.

Can;t exactly put my finger on it, but from the moment it was fitted, the car seemed more eager to pull, particularly from lower revs.

Go for it!

Michael.

I've had one for about 1 year, 4000 miles and 8 trackdays.

Failed a static noise test on Friday so I examined the exhaust packing. After such a long time it was all still there ... amazing. The problem turned out to be a gap at one of the joins with the 4-2-1 bits which was fixed easily.

Very impressed.

Ian.

Inspector71 (Peter)

YHM re the silencer from CBS.

I've just looked on their website and have to say the silencer doesn't look half bad! OK you pays your money etc... but the Techcraft job hasn't received gleaming reports and is twice as expensive!!

Anyone else using this silencer?

Brian

'The Wizard' is a 1989 de Dion SuperSprint in Red with Silver stripe..

• 2 months later...

...and do I need to get a bigger hole in the ali skin to replace the standard 1.6 k series supersport exhaust on my car with one of these - or is it a straight swap?

G 4 Geoff

Leather Good - Carbon Fibre Bad

619 GTD here

Interesting comments........

I'm looking at either a techcraft box or a raceco box. Anyone give reccomendations on either of these??

sorry to hjack but hoping this will add to the thread......

thanks *thumbup*

I've had both a long 6" Techcraft and now have a 7.25" RaceCo, the RaceCo is the quieter of the two by a considerable margin but it's also quite a bit more expensive. It's a beautifully made exhaust and I'd recommend one to anyone with out question.

The RaceCo is also a lot lighter but I believe Techcraft now do a titanium version which may remove the weight (and possibly the price) difference.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Don't forget (since you are running Webers) that once you have a very good exhaust like a Raceco the induction noise makes up a greater part of the whole and further noise reductions will prob. have to come from fitting an airbox. Whether this means that your car risks the "sewer pipe taped to the bonnet look" so favoured by Count et al is a matter of personal taste. (Or not) *tongue*

Oh and Raceco are highly rated here. They are craftsman built items and the price reflects this.

I'm very happy with my recently aquired Raceco. Not tried it against the noise meters yet but feels like I'm wearing earplugs c/w standard can, and brings mechanical noise to the fore.

Great to see Mike's workshop; superb craftsmanship *thumbup*

Neil

Orange SUPERLIGHT R300

Perms a speciality, OAP discounts on Wednesday.