Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What do I need to Dry Sump XFlow?

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

(And how much approx will it cost?)

I am considering having my engine dry-sumped overthe winter. Does anyone have a list of parts needed, suppliers and costs please?

Thanks - Michael.

er.

Pump

Remote filter

Oil cooler

tank

Sump

Pipes to connect the lot.

Cost around £250 or more depending on if you get the parts 2nd hand - Caterham do a kit which is probably the best bet for completeness but is a bit toya!

You also need a new RHS engine mount to clear the pump and a bunch of brackets/nut/bolts to attach the tank, cooler and oil thermostat to the car. I would also suggest a cost nearer £500.

I wont be at the next Penn Sevens, but your welcome to email me and pop round to have a look at mine.

SEP field working, not spotted in 101,600 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 10 June

The oil sender will also need moving a short distance, which can be done with the appropriate part. Burtons or any decent Ford Motorsports supplier can sell you the parts to do all this for a bit less than Caterhams. You don't necessarily need the oil cooler, I don't have one on mine. It is recommended if you do trackdays or racing though if its going to get warm. Some say you should replace the rocker cover with a sealed one but mine has run with the standard one for years with no problems.

• Leadership Team

Thanks. Is an oil cooler more important with a dry sump setup than it is with a wet sump? I am not aware of having had particularly high oil temps even on track with a wet sump.

Thanks - Michael.

• Leadership Team

Thanks. Is an oil cooler more important with a dry sump setup than it is with a wet sump? I am not aware of having had particularly high oil temps even on track with a wet sump.

Thanks - Michael.

No, it's less important in a DS, it's just that DSs are used for racers. There is more oil for a start so it spends more time sitting about and less time in the hot bits of the engine, and secondly while it is in the tank or trundling around the pipes it's away from the motor so cooling down.

Are you going to do some serious track work or racing? 'Cos if not , then it's a whole lot of upgrade for little necessity!

I've fitted a big red oil pressure warning light and an 'accusump' (oil accumulator) to my rebuilt x-flow, which is a good half way house ,if, like me, you are doing some track days, the odd hill climb and spirited blats. It's a lot easier to fit and is great for pre -oiling when starting.Mmmm... nice slippery bearings.It's cheaper, looks good too and is not as heavy as the dry sump gear. I've not heard of any one else doing this, but James Whiting (of James Whiting Sevens) recommended and fitted it and it has given me a real sense of security with £3000 worth of new engine.

It was recommended that I remove the oil cooler that I had, 'cos with general use, blats and touring etc you'll never reach a level where cooling the oil is necessary.Cooling the oil too much is not a good thing!

You will lunch the bearings if some extra oiling isn't added, I did, but don't forget your diff as well... it needs over filling and things to stop that cooking too if you're on an Ital axle.

Happy oiling.

Playing the Lo-tech Hi-spec Weber music! 'Go on do that thing when your carbs catch fire'

• Leadership Team

Hmm, An Accusump was something that I had originally thought about, but having seen that dry-sumping a, XFlow is not that expensive, I had discounted it. Nevertheless, it is still a consideration. My main concerns are protecting an engine that does 7-8 track days a year plus a few sprints. I have fitted an oil pressure light and the combination of this, and a James Whiting cast and properly baffled sump have done me well so far.

What do you estimate the additional weight of a dry sump system (including additional oil volume) to be?

Michael.

Edited by - Mcalvert on 23 Jun 2004 13:58:18

Mike, I plan to be a Penn Saturday if you want to have a look at my car. Although a BDR the principle should be similar for a Xflow. I would think that Oliver's estimate of £500 would be nearer the mark. I needed a new oil pump last year and that cost £200 on its own. One of the problems with be finding a place to locate the bell tank. Mine is just in front of the passenger footwell meaning the passenger gets less leg room.

Alan and his Yellow and Green BDR.

The accusump that I have fitted takes two litres of oil and other than that is an empty cylinder with a valve or two attached... so does that help in guessing the weight? Speak to James Whiting as to pros and cons of the idea, I was up for dry sumping but was looking at £600 min for the lot fitted which was when this alternative came to light.

I also use sticky tyres with 205's on the back, and consider it my duty to give R300's a good hassling (JEB and Knowley!) whenever the chance arises, so I'm not hanging about on or off track ... if you can save £300 or so with an accusump then it'll be worth the investigation!

Good luck.

Playing the Lo-tech Hi-spec Weber music! 'Go on do that thing when your carbs catch fire'

Mike,

I suggest you don't bother with an oil cooler as dry sumps run cooler than wet sumps anyway. It's not that difficult to retrofit a cooler into a dry sump system should you change your mind at a later date. At a guess the weight penalty is 5-7 kg.

SEP field working, not spotted in 101,600 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 10 June