Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Overheating?

Paul T

OK People. I'm up for asking a possible stupid and elementary question but here goes.

I have a 1.6 Ford Super sport engine which runs like a dream. However, as soon as I hit traffic or lights etc the temp guage heads rapidly for the red. Never quite reaches it and as I regain clear road the temp drops back to mid-range.

As I work abroard and am only back for very brief visits I only get a small window of time to effect any repair etc. I'm back in July and want to get this problem checked out while I am home. Could it be a new radiator required? Or is the high temp normal for a 7?

I've sent this request twice to Caterham via e-mail with no response at all!

Perhaps it's too stupid a question for them to waist time replying to!

Any comments would be welcome!

Thanks.

Paul T

Paul T

I am probably not the right person to comment on any engine problems, but you may benefit from flushing out the coolant and checking for a blocked radiator.If you have a heater, its possible you have an air lock, so careful bleeding may be in order. My 1700 Xflow runs steadily at just under 80 Deg, and only moves up slightly if stuck in traffic. Never hit the red yet.

Happy Motoring. thumbsup.gif C7 WJW.

Paul:

My 1600 X-flow behaves well on the open road, but does creep up a bit in traffic. We mere mortals have only spot experience with our own cars. I think some devine intervention is called for. Search out Roger King. He chimes in on X-flow questions quite often.

X-flow equipt Yankee

Normal behaviour is to run at around 80 degrees on the move. Temperature will then creep up to around 95 degrees in stationary or slow moving traffic, at which point the fan should cut in and maintain it at around this point.

Once moving again, the temperature should rapidly fall back to 80 degrees.

If this is what you have, all is OK.

What Roger says... smile.gif

If you want to check your fan, go for a blat, when you get back leave at idle and take the bonnet off. When the temp reaches 95 the fan should kick in and the temp should stabilise (at 95). Your temp guage might not be reading correctly if you see over 95, worth while sticking a houshold thermometer on the top hose to see what it's really running at.

If you're worried and want more control you can wire a switch on the dash across the fan temp sensor (top of the thermostat housing) so that in traffic you can throw the switch and the fan comes on straight away.

Cheers, Simon.