Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Cleaning Engine Bay

Delberts Wallet

There are products to degrease your engine or anything else. Just apply with a brush and hose with water, the product will become like milk (but will taste different)blow dry with an airgun and you get a clean engine.

Sorry that i can't read the name on the can anymore.

I think Elie means either Jizer or Gunk. I use brake cleaner, from my local accessory shop. 15 quid for a gallon, and I spary it on with a garden spray gun from a gardening shop. The solvent rots the valve in the spray gun trigger, but at 99p, I can stand it! Any oil/grease or whatever that doesn't run off is wiped away very easily, and it leaves almost no residue.

Oh yeah, a spray gun full will do the engine bay aproximately twice, depending on how dirty it gets (not very), so it is very cost effective, and nothing has rotted away yet. Some-one will probably pipe up and say that brake cleaner will rot something in there, or causes other problems or somesuch, (and I will learn something newthumbsup.gif), but as I say, so far so good.

Edited by - Blatman on 19 Jun 2001 20:53:17

It wasn't just the silencer but that chest-thumping single cylinder, banging away that did it for me...............magical memories......where are they all now?

When you think back,you realise just how lucky us 'oldies' really are, to have such wonderful machinery fixed in our memory banks!!

Roll on Goodwood Festival of Speed.................more memories to be relived.............

Andrew

Edited by - Andrew Russell on 22 Jun 2001 16:06:05

Andrew yes you are right about the chest-thumping single cylinder which only seemed to fire every alternate telegraph pole! Ahhhhhh these youngsters don't realise just what they missed from the golden age of motoring.

Which day are you going to Goodwood and are you going to the Revival meeting in September?

I will be going with my 15 year old son who ONLY seems to like the current 18000 rpm screamers and doesn't know what an old Maser sounds like or a GT40 for that matter!

That's it I am wallowing in pure nostalgia now!!!!!!!!!!!!smile.gif

Brent

Get outta here young Chris wink.gif I'm hauling the smell of Castrol 'R'out of my memory banks teeth.gif

Mr FH and I will be at the Revival - must remember to take the mothballs out of the sleeves of the mink a little sooner this year blush.gif

At the risk of incurring the Wrath of Gareth - (a feature movie of some considerable gravitas) - I reply, dear Brent in the true spirit of one who has lived life to the full. blush.gif A convivial assignation in the presumed quagmire of what undoubtedly will be "Revival" seems most appropriate. We are presently undecided as to our chosen mode of vehicular transportation - one has to consider the hat box - but a Se7en will do admirably if the elements allow.

FH wink.gif