Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Nosecone badge idea

k80rum

I was mulling over the car last night and it struck me that like all other Caterhams (so far as I know) it came with the original green and yellow round "Super 7" badge on the nose.

Lovely as it is, it seems a little dated and out of place with the rest of the colour scheme. I notice however that Caterham do an alternative black enamel badge on the website for the princely sum of 26 *eek* pounds.

....However, you can buy the natty looking new wheel centre caps for about 2 pounds in something that looks like brushed metal (anyone know?) and you'd have a choice of 40mm or 50mm (which co-incidentally is the same diameter as the proper nose-badge)

Do you reckon the wheel centre cap would make an alternative badge for the nosecone? From memory there isn't much of a radius on the badge, so a flat centre cap might be a suitable modern-looking alternative..

I'm such a tart *tongue*

Darren E

K80RUM Superlight R #54

I don't know..... First Caterham go and change their logo into something that could be on the bonnet of just about any Japanese car, the club lose their logo whilst it's on the verge of being retro-chic and now it seems Caterham's pseudo japanese logo isn't sacraligious enough! You want to put a real Japanese car logo on your Caterham?? Is there no respect for heritage???

*tongue*

Edited by - Alex Wong on 22 Jun 2004 09:04:28

I've got Lotus badges on mine. No apoligies, as when Caterham put a new body on 4 years ago they sent it back with no badges, the old rear wing kick plates, the rusty petrol filler and no front number plate. I reckon I'm entitled to put whatever badge I want on after that. I've got Lotus stickies from Club Lotus on the wheel centres and a tiny Lotus badge from an old gear lever knob on the nose cone. One spin off is that people have stopped asking me if it's "one of those kit cars" and now read the badge and wander off muttering "Oh it's a lotus"

norman verona

1989 BDR 220bhp

Mem No 2166

Curmudgeon in an Elise, (and 7 and Elan)

Peter

I have been thinking of a sticker version myself for some time. Nice and light 😬

Randy

I too have seen MX5s with Lotus badges on *thumbdown* Not so bad on a Caterham. At least they are related.

I was thinking of putting a Lotus badge on my car as it has has a vintage look about it with a '70's K plate. Just to upset the Porsche owners a bit more at trackdays. They'd hate it if they thought they had been shown the way round by a thirty year old car 😬

AMMO

How about a VX220 with a Lotus badge *confused* *eek*

What about that VX ad. (Forgive me a for the paraphrase but I think you'll get the message)

"We engineered this wonderful diesel supercar and achieved all of our objectives, except you couldn't transport a heavily pregnant woman in it, but don't worry about that because you can't buy it anyway, but we transposed all of this wonderful technology into the cdti astra which you can buy, if you're sad git and appreciate a true pile of sh*t"

Best auto ad for years *thumbdown* *mad* GM you lost your way after you donated your best technology to Caterham in 1989 *tongue* *thumbup*

Paul

Errrrm I have a Blackbird and I *would* like a Honda badge on the nose.

Anything to replace the current yellow "super sprint" item which makes people think there is an antediluvian crossflow under the bonnet... 😬

Don't want a sticker though. See how naff that looks on a 50 grand Noble. *thumbdown*

Have to scour a few bike shows for a keyring badge or similar that I can adapt. Gold wing on a black background would be nice.

How about having a badge which is a decal, rather than surface mounted metal/enamel.

The C-types in the 50s removed the badge to improve aerodynamics and more recently the 996 RS has copied this ( no such thing as a new idea ...)

Any thoughts - so far I have not been brave enough to contemplate a hole being drilled in the new nose cone

Anthony

Raceco can on and it looks stunning

charlie - Sorry to come over all PC, but I've seen/had enough bike accidents to make them an inappropriate topic for humour. ☹️

I don't think the bikes have anything resembling an enamel badge. All the livery is done with stickers.

If I was feeling flash I suppose I could go for an enormous "CBR1100XX Super Blackbird" decal across the front. 😬

I liked this idea so got the 50mm badge in. I know its all down to personal taste but I'm really pleased with the result.

For the weight freaks its nice cos it is lighter than my original Supersprint badge, and it does look a bit more up to date, which appeals to me even though it is an old design of car *smile*

Anyone who wants a piccy of the final result send me an email and I'll forward one to you so you can make up your own mind.

Steve