Click here if you are having website access problems ×

noise level testing

Mat Norris

I have a 1600 xflow woth a 5" 4-1 side exit jobbie and want to test its noise for track use. Does anyone know where I can get it tested or buy/hire/borrow a noise level meter? Also what level should I expect - its quite loud I think! Thanks for input -

Mat

Mat

If it's the same as my side exit silencer it is very loud!

I tested my 5" stainless Caterham silencer on a 1700 Crossflow last week. 0.5 metres at 45 degrees from exit:

3000 rpm 97 dB

4000 rpm 98 dB

5000 rpm 109 dB! Hurts your ears after a while.

Same silencer on a 2litre Zetec:

3000 rpm 92 dB

4000 rpm 98 dB

5000 rpm 104 dB

I also tested a proto-type silencer I'm working on in collaboration with another Blatchatter.

This gave 98 dB on the Zetec and 103 dB on the Crossflow, both at 5000 rpm. A reduction of 6 dB in both cases. A bit more work required to get it down to a more acceptable level. Seems that the old Crossie is a fair bit noisier than the Zetec.

I have a 6" Techcraft stainless re-packable silencer in the For Sale section if you're interested. I bought it to flowbench test to compare to the other silencers. It was not fitted to an engine as I want to sell it as a new item.

I doubt you would get your car through a noise test on a quiet trackday.

AMMO

I live in Woodbridge, Suffolk. Any locals wanting to noise test, feel free to contact me.

I'll be at a track day at Bentwaters this Saturday the 24th. I see from the participants list there are quite a few Caterhams booked in. I'll take my noise meter along even though there is no noise limit on the day. We'll have a white Easy-Up awning. If you want to be noise tested ask for Ammo.

AMMO

You can purchase a good meter from Maplins (start at about £50).

Demon Thieves also do a couple, one of which is more expensive.

Anyone doing Easytrack Airfield days (6th July is my next one), and need a noise test, come and find me...(Green, 1700 modified Xflow ...vloud)

Rob

If they still exist near you, it is also possible to buy a sound level meter from Tandy at about £50.

With the freshly repacked 6" Techcraft silencer on my Xflow (about 185BHP), I was noise checked by the scrutineer at the Pembrey race at 102dB(A) at 5400rpm.

Roger,

I was pointed in your direction re getting a noise test sometime. I wanted to test it before I commit to the cadence day on 6th July at Bedford. In my posting in ChitChat re Zetec 2.0 noise levels, I was told you were in Hoddesden. Would be be possible for me to arrange to come over some time to test.

No problem if not.

Thanks, Mark.