Click here if you are having website access problems ×

wheels & tyres

Normans_Ghost

I know it's been done before but an update would be appreciated.

I need some 15" lightweight wheels & tyres, what do you recommend?

Curently running Revolution with yoko 539 (?). Very heavy!

norman verona

1989 BDR 220bhp

Mem No 2166

Curmudgeon in an Elise, (and 7 and Elan)

Do they need to be 15's?!

13" minators from George Polley seem to be the budget starting point for most folks, I went from Prisoners to these, first with yoko 21r's then 32r's and next I'll be trying 48r's by the end of the summer - I personally prefer the sticky yoko's to CR500's which I felt were a bit delicate for my zetec powered 7, maybe the Avons suit a slightly lighter car?!Mine is quite stiffly sprung too and I got the impression that the yoko's dealt with a the heavyish, stiffly sprung, kinda brutish nature better.

I'm going for wider rears this time too to cope with my increasing exuberance on road and track... Looking at your sig might not be a bad idea to go for 13x6" fronts wheels and 185/60 32 or 48's and on the back have 13x7" with 205 tyres.

You'll be gobsmacked by the extra nimbleness you'll find though *thumbup* George Polley is well worth a call though as he knows about these things!

Edited by - JaseB on 18 Jun 2004 07:59:51

JaseB, I need 15" as I have 11.5" vented discs on front which required machining of hubs etc. Anyway they scrubbed 60mph in just over the length of a minibus and probably saved me a problem with the Gendarne's last week. Are the Minators magnesium? Whats George's number?

norman verona

1989 BDR 220bhp

Mem No 2166

• Support Team

Norman,

How about the Caterham 10 spokes with CR500 tyres as fitted to the R300/R400. I noticed your old Yokohamas at Le Mans and wondered when you'd get around to fitting some stickier tyres to match the engine and carbon *thumbup*. The CR500's are supposed to be very light and great allrounder's. For something more extreme how about ACB10's - not so good in the wet though. I'm running Yoko A048R's which seem to be flavour of the month and I am very impressed - they are heavier than CR500's but are also cheaper. I don't know if you can get them in suitable 15" sizes. Other popular options are A021R (good in the wet but wear fast on dry tracks) and A032R's which are great in the dry but not so hot in the wet. A048's are a very good compromise between the 2.

Personally, money no object, and for mainly road use I'd go for CR500.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun, Thanks for advice, are the 10 spoke light? I'm prepared to put Mike Barmby Mags on, if I can get him to confirm a date & price.If the 10 spoke are not that much heavier, say 10%, than mags then I'll consider it. The object is to get car's weight down to below 500kgs with a cast iron block just to see if it can be done. It'll reduce weight by about 8% so an increase in performance should be noticed. As normal some say CR500's are great, some say don't touch them. Oh decisions, decisions... By the way, I'm not looking for cosmetic appeal, just performance.

norman verona

1989 BDR 220bhp

Mem No 2166

• Support Team

Sorry I don't know the weights of the 10 spokes but have heard that they are pretty light (comparable to 13" minilites I believe). Aren't the Barnby wheels only 13"? I'm pretty sure that some poeple have also fitted Compomotive wheels such as the CXR or ML from George Polley. These again are said to be light weight but I don't know the figures. Do a search on here for CXR and there will probably be a thread on them.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32