Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Goodwood

robert green

Can anyone who has driven Goodwood in a 130ish bhp seven with a five speed box give me a few clues as to approximate corner speeds/gears. I am on 195/50/15 Proxes tyres. I have a sprint there and have never driven the track. Heard some worring stories about it and thought any tips would help me make the most of the 4 runs from the start.

I could make some guesses for you (I've only ever driven it with a 6-speeder):

I doubt you'll need need 5th (unless you have a low rev limit and/or a low diff ratio and/or a non-overdrive 5th, i.e. not the standard Caterham 'box).

First corner is Madgwick, use whatever gear you arrive in off the start line.

Next is the kink called 'Fordwater' - this is totally flat out (even with 240bhp), even though the road drops away from you making the exit blind.

Next is 'No name' - you might need a dab on the brakes here (not sure with 130bhp) but I'd advise not changing down, just concentrating on the line (keep over to the right on the exit).

Next is the only true left hand corner, "St Marys". I would imagine you'll want 3rd for that.

Next is a double-apex right hander, 'Lavant', probably stay in 3rd gear (maybe 2nd with a change-up part way round, but you'll probably be quicker if you concentrate on the line in 3rd).

Get the paper out for a read down the Lavant straight (there's an inconsequential left kink in the middle of it).

Tricky right hander coming up (Woodcote). 3rd gear for you I'd say.

Quick squirt to the chicane which is generally a 2nd gear affair for all except those with an extremely long first gear. With a short 3rd gear and a torquey engine you might find it quicker not to change down and just concentrate on carrying as much speed through as possible (saves a gearchange on the way to the finish line too).

All of the above assumes it's dry.

Remember that on your practice run you'll arrive at Madgwick much faster on the 2nd lap (should still barely need a dab with 130bhp though) - Goodwood sprints typically give you one practice run of 2 laps (2nd lap is flying) and 2 timed runs of 1 lap each.

Have fun, it's a cracking circuit!

Mike

PS I've no idea what speeds you'll be hitting, but with ~240bhp and 6-speed 'box my data shows:

Madgwick - braking point: 103mph, minimum: 83mph, exit: 100mph

Fordwater - 118mph (still accelerating)

No name - braking point: 127mph, minimum/exit: 100mph

St Mary's - braking point: 106mph, minimum: 73mph, exit: 86mph

Lavant - braking point: 105mph, minimum: 64mph, exit: 90mph

Woodcote - braking point: 129mph, minimum: 68mph, exit: 84mph

Chicane - braking point: 92mph, minimum: 53mph, exit: 66mph

Finish line - 90mph.

Corner exit speeds are a bit hard to judge from the logs.