Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What is the best type of oil?

Wahey

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this helps

Valvoline SynPower motor oil 001/10 Valvoline SynPower motor oil is a premium fully synthetic motor oil, formulated with the highest quality synthetic base oils, enhanced with the most advanced additive technology. SynPower motor oil provides the ultimate performance in meeting the latest requirements for virtually all cars and light trucks (vans) including gasoline, diesel, and LPG engines. SynPower motor oils provide superior protection at start-up, even under extreme conditions. Suitable for extra longdrain intervals (see approvals/performance levels).

also found this here

David

Edited by - David Nelson on 26 Aug 2004 21:46:43

Edited by - David Nelson on 26 Aug 2004 21:47:54

Edited by - David Nelson on 26 Aug 2004 21:48:35

Tony,

I mentioned Jet engines a few posts back and perhaps with a car engine it may not be a good comparison! so the other side of coin

Seal compatabilty of polyolester base stocks .

http://www.ultracheminc.com/comp.htm

Polyolesters are not interchangeable with PAO or mineral oils when it comes to seal materials. There's no magic chemistry available that's not available to everyone else.

While polyolesters (and diesters) stick to metal, adding a bit of them to a PAO accomplishes the same thing.

As to esters (both polyolesters and diesters) may have a problem with water, crankcase condensation, race or road use.

Synthetics experienced a variety of problems with both seals and water in pioneering stage.

Amsoil changed from a diester to a PAO!

Mobil 1, a manufacturer of both PAOs and polyolesters, uses the polyolesters in jet and turbine lubricants, and uses PAO for automobiles!

David

That oil comparison is ofcourse an Amsoil advert' comparing a very small selection of American made oils.

It is interesting that Redline, a very direct competitor of Amsoil was absent from the test, but I'm not surprised. Amsoil claimed a best by far HT/HS viscosity of 3.51. Redline's HT/HS viscosity is 3.8 for both their 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils which is even higher than Mobil 1's popular 0w-40.

Quick7

Gents,

A quick recommendation if you could, after reading this thread with interest I intend to try the Silkolene Pro S.

I comes in two grades, 5w-40 & 10w-50 can someone tell me which would be best suited to a 1.6KSS that will be used only on the track?

Thanks

Wow!

You guys have been busy whilst I was away sunning myself!

Give me some time to pick up where I left off and hopefully I'll be able to continue assisting where required. (Sorry but I've 30 odd Clubs to catch up on!)

Just a thought..........

Do you think the Club would mind us posting our prices on the products that we sell here? Along with advice of the best ones to use of course.

How about a seperate thread dedicated to oil advice and recommendations admins?

If anyone wishes to save me time catching up then please feel free to post your questions if you have any.

Cheers

Simon (Bronzed and golfed-out!)

sales@opieoils.co.uk

I would choose 5W40. SAE 40 is the recommended grade for the K-series and it has a decent VI.

Would this also be true for a dry sumped R300? (I would ask why this is different from the Caterham Comma oil, but I feel I would be given a sound verbal thrashing for not understanding all of this thread, which I have read most of 😳 )

Would it be a proper fully synthetic oil I need?

Oilman, please feel free to email me with recommendations and prices for a K-series 1.8 Dry Sumped car. *thumbup*

frankyknuckles@r300.net

www.R300.net

Edited by - frankyknuckles on 31 Aug 2004 21:25:22

HT/HS Viscosity tests.

Firstly, beware comparing numbers as there are different tests at different temperatures and some are quoted in degF rather than degC which always looks more impressive so make sure you are comparing like for like.

As regards to the ester based Silkolene PRO S and PRO R products here are the numbers based on the latest test which is -

ASTM D4683 (Test Temperature 150 degC)

Silkolene PRO S 5w-40 = 4.07cp

Silkolene PRO S 10w-50 = 5.11cp

Silkolene PRO R 15w-50 = 5.23cp

A typically expected level would be between 2.9 and 3.2 for the above viscosities.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Simon

sales@opieoils.co.uk

Pennzoil 5w-20: 2.65

Pennzoil 5w-30: 3.1

Pennzoil 10w-30: 3.2

Pennzoil 10w-40: 3.7

Pennzoil Syn 5w-20: 2.70

Oilman,

Some info to hand but Silkolene looks impressive (Still like to know ester content %)

Pennzoil Syn 5w-30: 3.07

Pennzoil Syn 10w-30: 3.20

Pennzoil Syn 5w-50: 4.29

Kendall 5w-20: 2.6

Kendall 5w-30: 3.0

Kendall 10w-30: 3.1

Kendall 10w-40: 3.6

Kendall 20w-50: 4.3

Kendall Syn 5w-30: 3.1

Kendall Syn 10w-30: 3.2

Kendall Syn 5w-40: 3.8

To be honest, like for like the Silkolene stats are impressive, we wouldn't recommend it otherwise.

All their products (even non ester) ones always stack up well as they use decent basestocks and additive packages. They are quality products as I've stressed before.

I'm waiting for the Club Committee to come back to me concerning joining our "Clubs Oil Scheme" so that we can make things here official.

Cheers

Simon

sales@opieoils.co.uk

Oilman

Why is % ester so difficult to obtain?

To recap

Once you put an ester based synthetic type of product in you never start metal to metal, even after a year there should be a one, one millionth inch of film. Even if the car has been in storage. This is completely untrue of petroleum oil regardless of who makes it. Petroleum will come off just from it's own weight in time.

Using this aprrox overview, which is to divide the kinematic viscosity at 100C by the HT/HS rate. LOWER is better for shear stability:

Example:

AMSOIL XL-7500 5w-30. Method: kinematic viscosity (10.3) divided by HT/HS rate (3.1), equals the ratio (3.32).

Pro 5W-40:3.65

Pro 10w-50 3.54

Pro 15W-50:3.48

However from the following info Redline a known ester and M1? have a good low ratio

Amsoil ASL (non-API) 5w-30: 3.31

Amsoil XL-7500 (API cert) 5w-30: 3.32

Castrol Syntec 5w-30: 3.32

Castrol GTX 5w-30: 3.45

Castrol Syntec Blend 5w-30: 3.48

Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5w-30: 3.24

Kendal GT-1 Syn 5w-30: 3.25

Redline Synthetic 5w-30: 2.86

Amsoil ASL (non-API) 10w-30: 3.39

Amsoil XL-7500 (API cert) 10w-30: 3.18

Castrol Syntec 10w-30: 3.22

Castrol GTX 10w-30: 3.45