Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What is the best type of oil?

Wahey

CSimon

I understood that approx a year ago that, Mobil uses Trimethylol Propane (TMP) esters and smaller amounts of other esters in the PAO/ester blend, with appropriate additives.

The System-S is a spin-off of their Ultron oils, in which a recently developed ester called "Trimethylol Ethane" or TME (a neopolyol ester) is used. The TME is derived from a carboxylic acid of 3,5,5-trimethyl hexanoic acid and an appropriate alcohol.

This ester is extremely oxidation stable.

This new ester is currently produced in a viscosity of 4.9-5.0 cSt. When blended with various viscosities of PAO, any multivis grade range is possible without VI's.

However, they appear to have dropped hydroscopic esters and produced a better PAO that PAO ester blend.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon (oilman), I don't have a problem with oil pressure, its 4 bar hot at 2000 and drops to 2.5 at tickover. When I used the 0/40w Mobil 1 the oil pressure would drop to under 1 bar at tickover. Mind you that was before engine rebuilt so will try it again on next change. May get temprature up a bit as well. I also have a large warning light directly in front of my eyeline on a 35psi switch.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

I know this thread has gone on for ever, but with my attention deficit disorder I cannot get to the bottom of it. Can I ask Oilman (and anyone else): If you had an R500 and used it as a fast road car only (perhaps with the odd track day thrown in), what oil would you use and how often would you change it?

Answers gratefully received and I won't hold anyone responsible!

Many thanks. I can't wait........

Mr oilman.

1.8k on qed 10mm lift cams, tb's, competition exhaust and used predominantly for road use (lots of miles), sitting in traffic and the ODD track day.

Due an oil change soon (like NOW). been recommended mobil 1 motorsport... what would you recommend and if you know of any suppliers, please e-mail me off blatchat to avoid blatant advertising problems. (need to get my hands on about 4.5 litres).

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quickie for those interested.

Am now stocking Motul so we now have the following oils available.

Silkolene, Motul, Mobil1, Castrol, Fuchs and Total.

Website will contain Motul tech data next week for you tech data browsers out there and yes at last I've found an oil that has slightly higher HT/HS numbers (300V Range) than the Silkolene PRO range!

Data will be here: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/lubricants.htm

Happy browsing!

Cheers

Simon

• 3 months later...

It took me ages to find this thread but it's probably the best on oil anywhere on the internet so, here is some info on basestocks which some may find of interest:

Basestock categories and descriptions

All oils are comprised of basestocks and additives. Basestocks make up the majority of the finished product and represent between 75-95%.

Not all basestocks are derived from petroleum, in fact the better quality ones are synthetics made in laboratories by chemists specifically designed for the application for which they are intended.

Basestocks are classified in 5 Groups as follows:

Group I

These are derived from petroleum and are the least refined. These are used in a small amount of automotive oils where the applications are not demanding.

Group II

These are derived from petroleum and are mainly used in mineral automotive oils. Their performance is acceptable with regards to wear, thermal stability and oxidation stability but not so good at lower temperatures.

Group III

These are derived from petroleum but are the most refined of the mineral oil basestocks. They are not chemically engineered like synthetics but offer the highest level of performance of all the petroleum basestocks. They are also known as “hydrocracked” or “molecularly modified” basestocks.

They are usually labelled/marketed as synthetic or semi-synthetic oils and make up a very high percentage of the oils retailed today.

Group IV

These are polyalphaolefins known as PAO and are chemically manufactured rather than being dug out of the ground. These basestocks have excellent stability in both hot and cold temperatures and give superior protection due to their uniform molecules.

Group V

These special basestocks are also chemically engineered but are not PAO.

The main types used in automotive oils are diesters and polyolesters. Like the group IV basestocks they have uniform molecules and give superior performance and protection over petroleum basestocks. These special stocks are used in all aviation engines due to their stability and durability. Esters are also polar (electro statically attracted to metal surfaces) which has great benefits. They are usually blended with Group IV stocks rather than being used exclusively.

It is common practice for oil companies to blend different basestocks to achieve a certain specification, performance or cost. The blending of group IV and V produces lubricants with the best overall performance which cannot be matched by any of the petroleum basestock groups.

Cheers

Simon

This is all very interesting - to someone.

I think that most, if not all, on here want to know whet is the best oil for their engine/gearbox/diff.

We all give our opinion, most of it from our experience. Then the questioner will read all the opinions, make his mind up and go and buy some oil.

The above stuff helps no one, I don't need to know how oil is made, I (or rather Wahey) wanted to know "what is the best type of oil". That was 7 months ago, I hope he's got some now. (He was refering to brands not basestocks)

Sorry, I've had my moan, but 21 pages on which oil is getting boring.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

Oilman, I appreciate your help and have learned a lot on top of what I already knew. The last comment given by Nverona was a little harshly put but fair as I think a lot of people reading this are getting confused especialy over presssure cold and hot against start up protection and high tempreture high reving protection. A list of what is recommended/best for what engine would be good.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR