Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What is the best type of oil?

Wahey

For a Standard Superlight. It sees fairly high temps on track days and when the oil gets thin it sounds tappety. I would like something that holds together better than whatever is in there now. I was told it is fully synthetic now.

Is Mobil 1 really that good?

should I buy the Comma stuff?

What rating should it be? 0w-40?

Thanks

Rich

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Comma developed Caterham motorsport oil which is specially developed for the K-Series in the Caterham application. Mobil 1 motorsport is a little thick for a K-Series from a cold start whereas the 5W50 Caterham oil is perfect. Don't be taken in by the motorsport bit of the name it actually isn't terribly sophisticated oil.

There is a huge amount of debate on BC about oil - just do a search and prepare to be swamped...

Personally, I use Halfrauds Fully-synth 5W40 - it meets the relevant industry standards and so should be no thinner than other 40-rated fully-synths at the temps reached in a standard engine.

There might be a case for spangly oils if you are experiencing extreme temperatures - but in this case, it's probably a good idea to think about how you can bring the temp back down...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Thanks for all the usefull feedback guys.

Next question is does anyone have an oil cooler? What sort of money are they and where can I get one from?

I am definately going for an oil change next week. I won't know til the next trackday though if that solves the problem.

Cheers

Rich

In response to the current thread reference oil to be used in a Caterham.

Those clever people at Comma, in conjunction with Caterham Cars, have blended an engine oil, Caterham Motorsport, specifically to meet the needs of Caterham users. I was fortunate enough to be invited to a Comma Oil Training day recently, where I spoke to the people that mattered. There enthusiasm and attention to the specific requirements of Caterham owners has produced a 5w/50 viscosity, which protects on the high speed track day motoring and also protects on start up for day to day use. Therefore, you should be in no doubt Caterham Motorsport oil is ideal for your cars needs. It is available from Caterham parts department and Minister Racing Engines.

Minister prepare a variety of high performance and racing engines in addition to the Caterham R500Evo, R500, R400 etc range.

We, and other top engine builders specify Mobil 1 Motorsport in some applications as we have found it to be an excellent and reliable product.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Those clever people at Comma, in conjunction with Caterham Cars, have blended an engine oil, Caterham Motorsport, specifically to meet the needs of Caterham users. I was fortunate enough to be invited to a Comma Oil Training day recently, where I spoke to the people that mattered. There enthusiasm and attention to the specific requirements of Caterham owners has produced a 5w/50 viscosity, which protects on the high speed track day motoring and also protects on start up for day to day use. Therefore, you should be in no doubt Caterham Motorsport oil is ideal for your cars needs. It is available from Caterham parts department and Minister Racing Engines.

Minister prepare a variety of high performance and racing engines in addition to the Caterham R500Evo, R500, R400 etc range.

We, and other top engine builders specify Mobil 1 Motorsport in some applications as we have found it to be an excellent and reliable product.